Fish Tacos with Local Veggies and Salsa
Shared by Deanna Cook of Northampton. Deanne demonstrated this recipe on Mass Appeal—check out the segment here!
1 pound fresh haddock
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
8 to 10 corn tortillas
Chipotle chevre (optional)
Corn salsa (see recipe below)
Chili lime cream (see recipe below)
- Prepare the fish for the tacos. In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, and salt. Pat the fish fillets with paper towel to remove extra moisture. Rub both sides of each fish fillet with the spice mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the fish fillets and cook on both sides until fish is just opaque. The time will vary depending on thickness of the fillets. The haddock fillets I used took about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove fish from the skillet, let cool slightly, and gently pull apart into strips.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven, wrapped in foil.
- Fill each taco with the fish, cabbage, cheese, corn salsa, and chili cream.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Chili lime cream
½ teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons lime juice
½ cup sour cream
1 garlic clove
In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Grilled Corn Salsa
2 ears corn, shucked
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 jalepeno pepper, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
4 chives, chopped
- Brush the corn ears with a little of the olive oil, then place directly on a hot grill. turning often, until kernels have softened and are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then cut off kernels from each ear.
- In a large bowl, combine the grilled corn kernels, tomatoes, chives, olive oil, lime juice, and peppers. Add cilantro and snipped chives and stir well.
- Chill until ready to serve.