Action Alert to support HIP!
HIP (the Healthy Incentives Program) is scheduled to pause for the winter of 2018.
Senator Anne Gobi and Representative Smitty Pignatelli are circulating a “dear colleague” letter supporting adding funding to HIP to allow it to continue through the winter. They have sent the letter to all senators and representatives asking for their support, and those legislators need to hear from their constituents (you!) that they should sign on.
So PLEASE take a moment to call or email your senator and representative. Tell your story – that’s what will make them support this request.
- Let them know what the planned six-month HIP suspension will mean for your business.
- Let them know if you planted crops that you were counting on being able to sell over the winter, and what your losses would be if HIP customers can’t buy your products.
- Let them know how important it is for you to have consistency in the program, to know that it will be funded adequately so that it will operate year-round and you will know when you are planting your crops how much to plan for.
- Let them know that funding for this winter needs to be secured now, so that you know whether or not to find other markets to sell your produce, or even whether to keep heating your greenhouses at all.
- Let them know what the planned six-month HIP suspension will mean for your household budget and for your ability to access fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Let them know how important it is for you to have consistency in the program, to know that it will be funded adequately so that it will operate year-round and you will know what sorts of benefits you can expect in coming months.
And be sure to ask them to sign on to the letter being circulated by Senator Gobi and Representative Pignatelli.
To find contact information for your legislators, look up their info here.