Farm Bill 2018
Even though most of us are focused on the upcoming election, congressional staff are still hard at work negotiating a new Farm Bill and they need to hear from you! Even though most of us are focused on the upcoming election, congressional staff are still hard at work negotiating a new Farm Bill and they need to hear from you!
Listen to our recent conversation on WRSI with Nathan L’Etoile of American Farmland Trust to learn about the consequences of the currently-lapsed Farm Bill.
Tell your Senators and Congressman that farmers and communities need a 2018 Farm Bill that invests in a sustainable future by permanently funding programs that connect farmers and eaters, support beginning farmers and farmers of color, underwrite organic and sustainable agriculture research, and provide healthy food incentives for families. Find your legislators here.
From our friends at NSAC (National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition), here is a list of requests. We want a Farm Bill that:
- Protects our shared natural resources – by protecting the nation’s largest resource conservation program on working farm and ranch lands: the Conservation Stewardship Program
- Targets support to family farmers instead of big corporate farms– by maintaining payment limits and strengthening eligibility rules for farm subsidies
- Ensures food access and dignity for families in need – by protecting the SNAP program from cuts
Specifically, we ask that permanent funding for the following programs, in line with language proposed in the Senate version of the 2018 Farm Bill, are included:
- Local Agriculture Marketing Program (which combines and strengthens the Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion Program, Value-Added Producer Grant Program, Regional Food Economy Partnership Program, and Food Safety Cost-Share Assistance)
- Farming Opportunities Training and Outreach Program (which combines and strengthens the Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program and Section 2501 Program)
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentives Program