Hiring: Assistant Farm Manager – Needham Community Farm
Needham Community Farm 2021 Assistant Farm Manager
The Needham Community Farm (NCF) is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization comprised of a very active volunteer Board of Directors, a year-round Farm Manager and a seasonal Assistant Manager.
Our mission is to deepen our community’s connection to nature, our food system and each other. We focus on three intertwined program areas: 1) Providing farm-based educational opportunities for learning about sustainable growing and nutrition; 2) Increasing access to healthy produce for those in our community who experience food insecurity; and 3) Building community through volunteerism.
The Assistant Farm Manager will be responsible for assisting in the management and operations of all aspects of farm operations and programming including leading youth and adults in educational programming and volunteer days on the farm. This position reports to and works closely with the Farm Manager.
This is a seasonal position, starting part-time in March 2021 with full-time hours from April through October, shifting back to part time for November and December. This is an hourly position, paid at $17.00 per hour. Position requires some Monday and Wednesday evening availability during the spring and early summer. This position will work Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday as required by farm needs. Preference given to candidates who are interested in continuing as Farm Manager in 2022.
Assist in all aspects of farm management and operations
The Assistant Manager will partner with the Farm Manager to intensively grow vegetables for 30 share CSA and food donation programs using sustainable and organic methods. The farm is about an acre with a small high tunnel and shared use of an offsite greenhouse.
- Participate in all aspects of farm operations including horticultural operations and farm maintenance including independently completing tasks including: greenhouse work,transplanting, direct seeding, weeding, pest and disease management, and crop statusassessment.
Coordinate food donation programs
The Assistant Manager will dedicate one day a week to managing and distributing produce through our food donation programs.
- Set up and staff 2 weekly Mobile Markets at Needham Housing Authority locations
- Work with staff at Needham Community Council to provide fresh produce for the food pantry
Lead volunteers in harvest and other farm work
In collaboration with the Farm Manager, the Assistant Manager will lead youth and adult volunteers in harvest, weeding, transplanting, seeding, and other farm projects
- Demonstrate and oversee volunteer work while creating a collaborative learning environment
- Track volunteer hours on site and maintain electronic records
Support education programs as needed
- Work closely with seasonal interns
- Fill in as necessary to teach adult and/or family gardening class with adults and young children
- Occasionally co-lead camp or field trip programming for youth
Support NCF organizational operations as needed
The Assistant Manager will provide administrative and organizational support as needed and directed by the Farm Manager and Board of Directors. The Needham Community Farm is a small organization, where all roles do a little bit of everything.
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Collect and input data related to programming and farm operations
- Oversee volunteer waiver compliance
- Contribute to fundraising events, grant writing, etc. as needed
- Knowledge of organic farming practices with at least 1 full season of farming experience, 2+
- Strong communication skills with diverse populations
- Reliable personal transportation to multiple locations in Needham
- Access to computer for limited remote administrative work
- Must pass CORI/SORI background check
- Experience in youth development and/or volunteer management preferred
- Customer service or similar experience preferred
Please submit cover letter and resume to Liz Perkus at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin Jan 5, 2021.