Hiring: Assistant Farm Manager – Small Ones Farm
Small Ones Farm is 63-acre family-owned farm in South Amherst, MA. We have a 5-acre orchard (apples, peaches, Asian pears, plums), 750 row feet of raspberries (open-air and high tunnel), and .5 acre of melons, pumpkins and garlic. We also press our own apple cider, make our own apple cider vinegar, and we sell pies made with our fruit. We use natural growing methods (holistic and certified through the Certified Naturally Grown program). We are the Northeast test site for a European apple being introduced to the US, and we have several grafting projects underway. Our primary sales outlets are our fruit CSAs and our on-farm farm stand. Livestock includes laying hens, rabbits, and a barn cat. We also occasionally host school and community groups in the summer and fall. We offer college-credit internships in collaboration with UMass, Amherst. Check out our website for more information about our farm- www.smallonesfarm.com. We seek an Assistant Farm Manager to help manage and operate all aspects of production, harvest and distribution.
- Orchard maintenance, including thinning, pruning, tracking insects/disease, mowing.
- Maintain melon/pumpkin/garlic and berry crops (watering, weeding).
- Assist in management of test apple project in collaboration with UMass Extension.
- Care of livestock (barn cat, chickens).
- Infrastructure repair and maintenance.
- Tractor operation.
- Harvest of all crops.
- Participate in school group/community visits and apple picking events, including some weekends
- Assist in planning, preparation and distributions for CSA.
- Assist in management of newly expanded farm stand operations
- Clean up/winterize orchard and farm.
- Participate in strategic planning and management of farm operations.
- Supervise college interns.
Dates: May 1 through August 31, 2018; depending on tree fruit crop, contract may be extended December 15, 2018 (extension decision made by late May).
Days/hours: Monday through Friday, with some weekends in the fall. Hours vary from 40-50/week.
Application deadline: Feb 28, 2018.
Minimum qualifications: At least one (preferably 2-3) years of farming experience, preferably organic farming. Values consistent with organic, environmentally sustainable operation, dedicated to high-quality products, and committed customer service. Enthusiasm, initiative, solid interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, ability to supervise and motivate others, and good humor are required. Also required is ability to lift 50 lbs. and valid driver’s license. We are a non-smoking/drug-free farm. No housing is available.
Wage/Salary/Benefits: $1,700/month; fruit/vegetable produce.
Application requirements: Please send resume, letter of interest, and names/contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. If you have any questions about this position, please contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact qualified applicants to schedule a farm visit and interview.