Hiring: Assistant Manager – Appleton Farms
Assistant Manager (salaried, year-round)
Appleton Farms CSA
About us: Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continually operating farms in the country and is managed by the Trustees of Reservations, a Massachusetts nonprofit land conservation organization. We grow certified organic vegetables on 30 acres for a 625-member summer CSA and 150-member winter CSA. We are a team-oriented farm focused on efficient systems, healthy soil, and high-quality vegetables. The property totals 1000 acres and features a grass-fed dairy and beef operation, an on-site creamery, and beautiful grassland and forest trails. The farm is convenient to several towns, beautiful beaches, and the commuter rail to Boston.
Position Description: The Assistant Manager is a salaried, year-round position with a seasonally variable work schedule. This individual supports the CSA Manager in all aspects of organic vegetable production for summer and winter CSAs and year-around wholesale accounts. These responsibilities include greenhouse and high tunnel production, field operations, harvest, vegetable wash and pack, food safety compliance, and organic certification. There is a significant role in tractor operations and managing the farm crew. The Assistant Manager reports to the CSA Manager but also works with other farms staff, including education, stewardship, and livestock programs.
- Assist the CSA Manager in all aspects of organic vegetable production, including crop planning, greenhouse and high tunnel production, field operations, harvest, vegetable wash and pack, and record-keeping
- Assist CSA manager in supervising the farm crew in daily operations
- Field prep and other equipment operation
- Help manage and maintain CSA equipment, infrastructure and facilities, including tractors and implements, trucks, greenhouse and high tunnels, barn, cooler, fencing, and irrigation systems.
- Work with the CSA Manager to monitor, evaluate and improve soil fertility, manage pest and weed control, and develop annual crop plans
- With the CSA Manager, help hire and train seasonal CSA staff
- Lead compliance efforts for produce safety in the Food Safety Modernization Act
- Maintain organic certification for the CSA
- Help to create a positive and friendly work atmosphere
- Help manage and encourage public involvement in the CSA operation where appropriate.
- At least 2 years of direct, hands-on experience on a production–oriented organic vegetable farm
- Experience operating and maintaining tractors and other farm equipment
- Ability to work independently with little supervision or as a member of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience supervising other staff and volunteers
- Ability to work long hours and perform physically strenuous farm tasks including repeatedly lifting up to 50lbs
- Strong work ethic, willingness to be flexible and a positive attitude
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
Salary and benefits: Starting salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position provides excellent benefits, including:
- Employer sponsored medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with 5% employer match after one year of employment
- Employer-paid life and disability plans
- Paid vacation, sick, and personal time
- Housing on the property
- Vegetables for personal consumption
Please send an email to email@example.com with your interest in the position and a resume.