Hiring: Assistant Manager of Farm Operations at Diemand Farm
Diemand Farm is a third-generation family farming business in Wendell, MA. Since 1936, our farm has grown from offering only broilers in the early years to now providing a much wider variety of products: pasture-raised turkeys, grass-fed beef and lamb, indoor free-range broilers, all-natural eggs, native lumber, compost, and value-added foods. We raise our turkeys and chickens from day old chicks and process the meat onsite, as responsibly and respectfully caring for our land and animals is important to us. We have a long and rich history taking care of our land and farm animals, and participating in the community.
The Assistant Manager of Farm Operations will support the Farm Operations Manager in many aspects of the farm’s operations. Key responsibilities will include operating hay and sawmill equipment, caring for animals, compost and grounds management duties, and routine farm maintenance. This position will be the primary support for the Farm Operations Manager in doing equipment repairs and carpentry projects, in addition to assisting with on-site poultry processing and other farm tasks. The Assistant Manager will be expected to offer input on farm operations and will have the opportunity to contribute to farm management decisions after gaining experience on the farm. There is strong potential for job growth for the right candidate, including taking on increased management or supervisory responsibilities and/or transitioning into a full managerial role at the farm.
Duties may include:
- Operate farming equipment, including hay production, loader, and sawmill equipment
- Maintain and repair farm machinery
- Feed and water animals, and monitor food and water supplies
- Care for cattle herd including rotational grazing and maintenance/installation of fences
- Make necessary carpentry repairs and improvements
- Clean, maintain, and design poultry coops
- Monitor, turn, and package compost, and make deliveries
- Maintain farm grounds and landscaping
- Assist in the processing of poultry on-site
- Provide input on farm operations and innovations
- Additional duties, to be assigned as necessary
Desired qualifications and abilities:
- Knowledge of machinery and heavy equipment a must
- Experience working with a wide variety of tools and agricultural equipment
- Experience and knowledge in raising livestock and poultry
- Ability to work extended periods without oversight
- Demonstrated ability to plan work over an extended schedule
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Good communication skills
- Ability to maintain a fast work pace
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
- Hourly rate commensurate with experience ($15-$20/hr)
- Employee discount on all goods from farm store
- Sick and vacation time available
- During the growing season (May-November), it is expected that this position will work approximately 32 hours each week. Schedule will be set at the time of hire, and seasonal fluctuation is to be expected. For instance, November is a busy time that may require longer shifts and schedule changes.
- During the off-season (December-April), work hours are expected to vary from 20-32 hours per week and may be negotiable depending on employee.
Send a brief description of your experience and interest in the position along with a completed job application to email@example.com. We will follow up with potential candidates. No phone calls please.