Hiring: Bilingual Farmers’ Market Assistant – All Farmers
Bilingual Farmers’ Market Assistant
Job Type & Schedule
Hourly position, Tuesdays 11:00-5:00, Thursdays 1:00-7:00.
$19-$22 per hour. Paid sick time.
Primary work responsibilities in Springfield, MA and West Springfield, MA. Access to a vehicle is required.
Our work is complex, our team and constituents are diverse. The Farmers’ Market Assistant plays a key role in supporting our marketing programs and farmer groups, and contribute to smooth operation of the farmers’ markets. Candidates must have access to a vehicle.
All Farmers supports autonomous groups of refugee and immigrant farmers in western Massachusetts. We understand the barriers immigrant and refugee farmers face from a social justice perspective, and work with the farmers to support their success in spite of the systemic barriers they face. Our strategic priorities are directed by the farmers collectively and through farmer representation on the Board of Directors. All Farmers works with over 60 farming families, sharing four farm sites. Current farmers come from 10 countries, and predominantly speak Maay Maay, Nepali, and Kiswahili, as well as Kirundi and Congolese.
● Marketing: Staff the West Springfield farmers’ market (Thursdays 2:00-7:00 July through October) and the Brightwood Farmers’ market (Tuesdays 11:00-4:00 July through October)
● Support Farmer Learning: Provide one-on-one assistance to farmers at markets to practice newly learned skills
● Reliable and punctual (required)
● Self-motivated; self-organized; excellent follow-through (required)
● Commitment to building and maintaining trust within the communities (required)
● Experience working with diverse communities (required)
● Experience staffing a farmers’ market booth (strongly preferred)
● Teaching and/or tutoring experience (preferred)
● Basic math skills (addition/subtraction, multiplication, calculator use, using a scale) (required)
● Proficient written English abilities (required); excellent written communication abilities in English preferred
● Proficient use of the internet (required)
● Proficient use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs (preferred)
● Bilingual in English and a language spoken by local refugee and immigrant communities (required), Spanish, Maai Maai, Nepali, or Kiswahili (strongly preferred)
● Prior knowledge of farming techniques and words (preferred)
● No educational requirements