Hiring: Communications Manager – Food Connects
Deadline to apply: Rolling
To apply: Submit Cover Letter and Resume to Richard Berkfield, Executive Director, email@example.com
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers locally produced food as well as educational and consulting services aimed at transforming local food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, local farmers with new markets, and school chefs with school food.
The Communication Manager’s primary responsibility is to coordinate all communications and marketing efforts of Food Connects and its programs. Food Connects is a small, horizontally-structured organization, which means that everyone in the office participates in occasional big picture decisions like hiring, creating organizational policies, outreach, fundraising, and conducting an annual peer review. The Communications Manager is based in the Food Connects office in Brattleboro and is a 30 hour per week year-round non-exempt hourly position.
- The Communications Manager reports directly to the Executive Director.
- The Communications Manager does not directly oversee any staff.
- The Communications Manager works closely with all staff to support outreach efforts.
- Hours to be scheduled during Food Connects normal business hours Monday-Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm.
- Occasional meetings and events on evenings and weekends (with plenty of advance notice).
- Occasional regional travel required.
- Refine and execute FC marketing plan including writing press releases, generating regular social media posts, writing newsletters, and assisting in event promotion.
- Work with program staff to complete communications tasks for FC programs including social media posting, newsletter writing, and other outreach as needed.
- Design organizational outreach materials and work with FC staff to distribute these to targeted stakeholders.
- Manage and optimize mailing lists and email marketing platforms.
- Facilitate internal office communications.
- Develop and align key messaging and development campaigns.
- Keep website updated and dynamic.
- Design and execute communications mailings for special events, appeals and donor recognition.
- Represent Food Connects and its programs at key events.
- Participate in organizing organizational events.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
- Participate in shared organizational HR functions including recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees, enforcing systems, policies, and procedures, and participating in the annual peer review process.
- Create and maintain a work plan and solicit feedback from staff at regular staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years communications experience.
- Ability to develop goals, timelines and to meet deadlines.
- Some graphic design skill and proficiency with design and layout software.
- General knowledge of veggies, fruits, and other locally-produced items.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong proficiency with Internet use, spreadsheet development, databases, Google Drive and Microsoft Office suites. Comfort with learning new software platforms.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and in the face of changing demands.
- Self-starter who can work well independently.
- Ability to work effectively with others in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and make necessary decisions; skilled in creative problem-solving.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage workload among fast-paced and sometimes unpredictable programs.
- Reliable private vehicle for occasional regional travel.
- Experience in videography and photography
- Commitment to building strong relationships in the region.
- Belief and enthusiasm for the mission and work of Food Connects.
- Continually able to sit at a desk and work in an office setting to execute job responsibilities.
Compensation: $18 hourly, including some benefits after a 90 day probationary period.
Food Connects provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.