Hiring: Community Engagement Coordinator – Worcester County Food Bank
TITLE: Community Engagement Coordinator
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations and Director of Advocacy
PAY RANGE: $40-45K
Worcester County Food Bank (WCFB) believes that food is a fundamental right of all people and that hunger is an issue of social justice. WCFB’s mission is to engage, educate, and lead Worcester County in creating a hunger-free community. To that end, WCFB annually collects over 6 million pounds of perishable and non-perishable food and distributes it through a network of 120 Partner Agencies, including food pantries and community meal programs, trains Partner Agencies in food safety, and advocates for systemic and sustainable solutions to support children, families, and senior citizens in being more food secure and healthy.
The Community Engagement Coordinator is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position that reports to the Director of Advocacy and the Director of Operations. This position works closely with the two departments (Advocacy and Operations) on building and expanding our volunteer engagement, supporting the work of Agency Relations, and representing WCFB in the community. This position is part of our External Engagement Team which is made up of staff members across WCFB that focus on duties that involve external engagement and relationship management. This is a new position developed as a result of WCFB’s most recent strategic plan.
Volunteer Outreach, Engagement, Coordination (60%):
- Coordinate and execute outreach, recruitment, orientation, training, and scheduling for individual volunteers as well as volunteer groups across WCFB.
- Lead major expansion of current volunteer program to include opportunities across WCFB, including advocacy, administration, and warehouse operations. This includes a new program of recruiting and placing volunteers for SNAP (Food Stamp) outreach and application assistance.
- Develop and implement volunteer recruitment strategies based on needs of WCFB.
- Liaise with appropriate staff to ensure quality standards for work performed by volunteers.
- Update and implement volunteer training program and materials, to include a system for monitoring and evaluation.
- Collect and maintain volunteer data and report on volunteer data as required by various departments.
- Work across all departments to understand current and evolving need for volunteers, and manage recruitment and scheduling in response to those needs.
- Develop and implement volunteer recognition systems including, but not limited to, annual volunteer appreciation week.
- Maintain Volunteer Center to create a welcoming, engaging space for volunteers in the Warehouse.
Partner Agency Support (20%):
- Build strategy for supporting Partner Agencies to recruit and maintain local volunteers.
- Contribute to WCFB’s formalized effort to engage and support Partner Agencies in development of a people-centered model.
- Represent WCFB at appropriate events and meetings, such as health fairs, volunteer fairs, and other events that could involve tabling or informational presentations.
- Support staff in responding to requests for educational presentations for community organizations, schools, etc.
- Give public tours on a rotating basis at the WCFB.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years’ experience preferred, or combination of equivalent education and experience, preferably in volunteer coordination, program management, or events management.
- Friendly, professional, and highly organized, with demonstrated outstanding customer services skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as individually.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Strong ability to take initiative, proactively plan and manage workload, engage in creative problem solving, and work independently.
- Willingness to travel throughout Worcester County; reliable transportation and good driving record required. A WCFB vehicle for work-related business is shared by staff.
- Ability to keep good electronic records of work using Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office and other applications.
- Solid knowledge of various computer applications including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and database systems.
- Nutrition, Food Safety, and/or Advocacy background desirable.
- Bilingual/bicultural a plus, but not required.
- WCFB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people who have experienced poverty to apply.
- Interested and qualified applicants should email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line.