Hiring: Community Food Distribution Project Assistant – Grow Food Northampton
Community Food Distribution Project Assistant
Job Type and Schedule: Part-time (approximately 8 hours per week) through October,
Availability is required on Tuesday afternoons from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. and negotiable for Tuesday mornings and Thursday mornings.
Compensation and Benefits: $16.50 per hour.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of your skills and experience. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About Grow Food Northampton
Grow Food Northampton is a food justice organization providing food and land access to all members of our community. Grow Food Northampton owns a 121-acre community farm that leases land to six farmers and two farming co-ops that practice sustainable agriculture; manages a 330-plot organic community garden; operates a vibrant downtown farmers market; grows 9,000 pounds of produce annually that is donated to people in need; operates a thriving downtown farmers’ market; educates over 1,200 students a year about local food, gardening, and farming through farm field trips and classroom workshops; and manages food access initiatives that invite people of all incomes into the local food movement. Founded in 2010, Grow Food Northampton is rooted in values of social, racial, and environmental justice, and serves the city of Northampton and nearby communities with five full-time and six part-time staff members, Terracorps service members, and volunteers.
The Community Food Distribution Project Assistant will, along with other staff and volunteers, support our Community Food Distribution Project (CFDP) which distributes healthy local food to community members experiencing food insecurity at subsidized housing communities throughout Northampton.
- Staff the Community Food Distribution Project on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This includes transporting food in our refrigerated van, distributing at subsidized housing communities, and interacting with participants, volunteers, and staff.
- Support participant intake and record-keeping
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Interpersonal and communication skills, sound judgment, and professionalism
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and diverse groups of people
- Patience, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Hold a valid driver’s license and feel comfortable driving a 12-passenger van.
- Meet the physical requirements of food delivery, including but not limited to:repeatedly lifting 50 pounds, walking on uneven terrain, and spending time outdoors.
- This position requires a physical presence and interaction with volunteers andprogram participants. Following the safety protocols defined by Grow Food Northampton is required.
Grow Food Northampton is an equal opportunity provider and employer. People of all races, colors, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, and ability, are encouraged to apply. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.