Hiring: Crew Leader in Granby – Red Fire Farm
Red Fire Farm is looking for a natural leader and great communicator who is passionate about organic farming. The Granby Crew Leader leads a team of people on a daily basis in field tasks, harvesting, greenhouse work and more. This person also serves as the primary point person communicating about harvest to the farm team in Montague.
Crew Leading Responsibilities
- You may be the leader of a team of anywhere from 1 to 10 people on a daily basis. It is your responsibility to keep the crew on task at all times, ensure that everyone on the crew is following the proper techniques, meeting quality standards, and following all safety guidelines.
- Learn the farm standards for each area of work – harvesting, weeding, etc.
- Set the pace for everything; working, walking, getting in and out of vehicles, dropping things off in the packing department, etc.
- Read the weekly harvest and production notes every week, and ask questions to the manager or someone else if there is any uncertainty
- Bring self-motivation and good communication to the team. Experience working with other languages and cultures helpful.
- Ability to lift 30-50 lbs repeatedly and work with speed and endurance
- Cultivate a positive and effective working experience with your crew
- Applicants MUST have a valid driver’s license to be considered for the position; no exceptions.
- English & Spanish language proficiency (other languages a plus)
- A desire and willingness to work outside (in the rain and the heat & cold too!)
- Must be able to lift 30-50 lbs. repeatedly and easily, and work physically all day
- Must work well with others
- Must have a good attitude and be willing to learn
Location: 7 Carver Street, Granby, MA (training period will take place at our Montague location)
Schedule: Typical hours are 7am – 6pm Monday through Friday with a one-hour lunch, overall less hours in the early spring and winter, more in the summer. Crew leaders can expect to rotate through some weekend hours. Due to the nature of farming, all crew are expected to be available to work on the holidays that occur during the active farming season, to be on-call during spring and fall frosts, and to be flexible with the length of work days during the season. The position is seasonal from April through late November or mid-December, with winter work possible in other departments.
Job Type: Full-time; seasonal
Pay: $14 / hour to start
- All the organic veggies you can eat!
- Fresh air and exercise
- An open, friendly environment where your feedback is welcomed
- Opportunities to advance and build on your skills
- Non-English language practice
To Apply: Positions starting soon, please send in your applications quickly – we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Please send a letter of interest as well as a simple resume including three relevant work references with contact information to email@example.com.