Hiring: Cultivation and Harvest Manager – Red Fire Farm
Red Fire Farm, a leader in organic farming with more than 100 acres in cultivation, seeks an experienced farmer to lead operations at our Granby property for the remainder of the 2016 season. Ideally, the candidate would continue on as farm manager in 2017.
The Cultivation and Harvest Manager is responsible for all aspects of tractor work, record keeping, detailed vegetable cultivation, training of junior tractor operators and general staff management in Granby, where they several greenhouses as well as bulk crops in production on roughly 30 acres.
They need a person who is motivated by responsibility as well as by the pace, pressure and vagaries of farming in New England. Perspective and a good sense of humor are preferred. Charisma is helpful.
Red Fire grows for several markets – CSA, wholesale, retail – and they grow pretty much every crop that can survive in this climate. Red Fire is dedicated to producing a high-quality product and the success of that begins with good cultivation.
Candidates should have:
- At least five years experience farming;
- At least two years in a management position on a farm;
- Previous experience on a large (30-40 acre) mixed vegetable farm;
- Experience with a variety of tractors and implements;
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
In this role, you’ll be in charge of developing and overseeing daily production tasks for crews. It will also be up to you to give feedback to tractor operators and crew leaders. This position is part of the core leadership, you’ll be required to attend monthly managers meetings and work with the leadership team to create a positive, supportive culture for everyone who works on the farm.
Other responsibilities include:
- Keep all production records (inputs, actuals, etc.) up to date and organized
- Manage scheduling of and participate in irrigation and frost protection
- Keep inventory of supplies
- Coordinate machinery maintenance and repair with farm owner and farm mechanic
- Oversee upkeep of greenhouses and tunnels, and care for plants inside
- Organize weed crew and, toward the fall, bulk harvest crew.
The compensation package includes a competitive hourly rate or possibility for salary, if preferred; paid time off; bonus; cell phone reimbursement; year-round access to our vegetables.
Please detail previous machinery experience, including crops and methods, in your application. Housing may be available as well – please indicate if you’re interested in housing in your cover letter. To apply, send a resume with three relevant references and a letter of interest to email@example.com.