Hiring: Deputy Director – Urban Farming Institute
Deputy Executive Director
In collaboration with the CEO, the Deputy Executive Director will plan and direct the daily operations of UFI and manage staff with a focus on the organizational mission, vision and values. The Deputy Executive Director will work to implement and manage programs and initiatives to expand the community impact of UFI in the areas of farm operations, farmer training and community education. Additionally, the Deputy Executive Director will develop, implement and manage UFI’s operational policies and procedures in the areas of HR, finance, IT, development, administration and serve as the day to day leader of the organization.
- Responsible for day to day management of staff members
- Manages human resources functions including job description development, recruiting/staffing, performance reviews, employee relations, career progression and payroll
- Identifies best practices and improves internal systems within budget restraints
- Serves as mentor and coach to staff
- Develops and implements internal administrative, finance and personnel policies and procedures.
- Ensures that job responsibilities are clearly communicated
- Processes payroll, approves vacation requests
- Supports employee inquiries and resolves challenges
- Responsible for overseeing financial data entry, reporting, reconciliation of the books and oversight of outsourced bookkeeper
- Manages the financial health of UFI:
- Develops and monitors financial processes and procedures and manages the day to day financial operations
- Supports preparation of the annual budget
- Works with finance team to manage UFI’s financial resources in a fiscally responsible manner while supporting organizational growth and sustainability
- Provides financial reports outlining the planning, execution and effectiveness of fundraising and expenditure plans for the CEO/President and the Board of Directors
- Develops and maintains systems for ensuring vendor contracts are managed effectively and all Accounts Payable are assessed and signed off on for accuracy and prompt payment
- Translates vision and strategy into operational tactics building organizational support and infrastructure needed to achieve this end
- Provides oversight and serves as day to day point person for Farm Operations, the Farmer Training Program, and General Education/Workshops/Programs
- Engages and serves as liaison to the local community
- Supports property management initiatives and resolution of property management issues.
- Manages the day to day administrative functions of the farm and staff.
- Analyzes the technology infrastructure to support the organization
- Develops and directs operating policies to support overall organization goals and objectives.
- Oversees office and facilities management to ensure they are maintained to meet client safety, security, and quality assurance standards
- In collaboration with CEO, prepares Board of Director and Executive Committee financials, agendas, PowerPoint presentations, and supporting documents.
Development / Fundraising
- Manages the administrative processing and reporting of donations as well as follow up correspondence and donor outreach
- Maintains an effective grants management systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field required
- Seven + years of management experience / senior level position required. Management / leadership experience in a community based, non-profit organization strongly preferred.
- Prior hands on and/or management experience with farming/urban farming strongly preferred.
- Must have a commitment to / dedication to the success of farming/urban farming
- Experience mentoring, supervising, evaluating, and providing leadership development to staff at all levels
- Track record of successfully managing staff and operations
- Experience successfully developing, leading and managing projects
- Budget-focused mindset and a minimum of 5 years of experience in developing and managing budgets is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
To apply, people should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The salary range for this position is $75K-$100K.