Hiring: Development Director – Roots Rising
The Development Director will be the lead strategist on all things fundraising at Roots Rising. As a new role in a growing organization, the Development Director will oversee all fundraising activities, including actively managing the grants lifecycle and championing individual donor cultivation with an emphasis on stewarding major donors.
The Development Director will be supported by a strong culture of collaboration, passionate staff and board of directors, and a caring, human-centered work environment. Roots Rising practices a shared leadership structure, with the belief that wisdom is not confined to any single individual, and that success comes from the raising up of multiple voices and perspectives. The Development Director will be a participating voice in this ecosystem, and will have the Executive Director as a key resource and functioning supervisor.
Statement of Equity
Roots Rising encourages candidates from all backgrounds to join our team. We believe that a diverse team enhances our ability to fulfill our mission and grow as an organization. We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment where each employee’s contributions are recognized, valued, and celebrated. We understand that our employees have varying needs; we aim to create a healthy, successful work environment for all, and we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace.
Roots Rising is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Over and above our commitment to nondiscrimination, we believe that our organization should reflect the communities we serve. In staying true to this commitment Roots Rising actively seeks to employ members of the community who have experienced food insecurity, as well as members of historically marginalized groups, including, but not limited to, Black and Brown folx, LGBTQ+ folx, and differently abled folx.
Roots Rising is an award-winning organization whose mission is to empower youth and build community through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community changemakers and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of meaningful work.
Roots Rising has three main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market, our Youth Crews, and our upcoming Youth Farm. Our Pittsfield Farmers Market is the first teen-run market in the region and was the first year-round market in Berkshire County. It was founded with the belief that everyone should have access to fresh, healthy food. In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own market. It’s more than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful work—work that needs to be done and serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and connected. Roots Rising’s third major initiative will be a Youth Farm in Pittsfield. This farm will be an intersection of our food justice and youth development work. We are in the beginning stages of launching this new initiative.
- Effectively communicate the story of the organization and the impact of its programs
- Prepare and manage grant proposals to foundation, corporate, and government sources
- Research and evaluate prospects for new grants
- Comply with all required grant reporting
- Track all grant deadlines in partnership with the Operations Manager
- Manage all aspects of two fundraising appeals per year
- Identify and steward major donors in partnership with the Executive Director
- Strategize and lead on upcoming farm fundraising campaign
- Ensure donor data accuracy and timely donor acknowledgement in partnership with the
MARKETING & COMMUNICATION
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Operations Manager on content for email, social, and earned media outlets
- Partner with Executive Director and Operations Manager on Annual Report production, with attention to donor perception, acknowledgement, and dissemination
- Create annual fundraising strategy with support from the Executive Director and Operations Manager
- Participate as a strategic thought partner with the Executive Director
- Collaborate on fundraising events led by the Development Committee
- Act as key point person on donor cultivation for the Board of Directors, present to the Board as needed
- Working knowledge of effective, holistic fundraising strategies including grant seeking, individual donor cultivation, corporate sponsorship and special event management
- Excellent written communication and editing skills
- Three or more years of grant writing experience (including local, regional and national
foundations) and individual donor stewardship
- Detail oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently while also being a strong team player
- Experience writing and securing federal grants
- Holds accreditation with recognized fundraising professional organizations such as AFP
- Experience with CRM platforms (i.e., NeonCRM)
- Demonstrated success in exceeding goals for digital, email, social media fundraising, and
- Demonstrated successful planning and managing of fundraising campaigns
- Familiarity with the principles of Community-Centric Fundraising
The Development Director is a full-time, salaried position with an annual salary range of $58,000 – $65,000. Daily work hours are flexible. They can usually be chosen in accordance with the Development Director’s schedule, if not in conflict with upcoming deadlines.
This position is a hybrid role: with in-person group work in Pittsfield, MA typically one day per week.
Roots Rising aims to support a balanced and joyful life for our employees. We aim to create a healthy, successful work environment for all, with the understanding that employees have varying needs. And we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace. For full-time employees, benefits include weekly half-day Fridays, generous paid time off and sick leave, and a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer
contribution. Roots Rising is a qualified employer under the PSLF federal student loan forgiveness plan.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples done in a professional capacity to firstname.lastname@example.org.