Hiring: Fall Assistant Farm Crew Leader – Rising Roots
Fall Assistant Farm Crew Leader
Job Summary: The Fall Assistant Farm Crew Leader will assist the Program Manager in leading a Crew of twelve teenagers and guiding them through the Fall Farm Crew job experience.
Organization Overview: Roots Rising is an award-winning, women-led organization whose mission is to empower youth and build community through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community changemakers and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of
Roots Rising has three main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market, our Youth Crews, and our
upcoming Youth Farm.
In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own
market. It’s more than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful work—work that needs to be done and serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and connected.
We have three seasonal Farm Crews—Fall, Spring and Summer—and Market Crew, who
transformed the Pittsfield Farmers Market into the first teen-run market in the region.
Dates of Employment
Fall Farm Crew 2022 runs September 27 – November 22, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Hours for this position are 2:00pm-6:00pm on those days. The Fall Assistant Farm Crew Leader
will also have one paid day of training and on-boarding before the start of Fall Farm Crew, dates
to be determined.
● Serve as an assistant leader of teen Farm Crew members
● Oversee, motivate, and ensure the safety and well being of teens during their work periods, including being the sole adult responsible for small groups
● Serve as a model of the employment skills we seek to impart to our youth, including having a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills
● Support the interests and needs of our teen Farm Crew members, including cultivating a safe space for learning and growth
● Communicate with worksite hosts to determine the day’s daily tasks
● Assist with daily facilitation of group activities, including games, check-in and feedback circles
● Contribute knowledge to the overall organization to advance its mission and vision
● Uphold the standards and values of the organization
● Drive the Roots Rising van on an occasional basis
● Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens, especially those from diverse backgrounds
● Experience leading groups of teens preferred
● Ability to engage in farm work for prolonged periods, including standing, bending, and kneeling; ability to carry heavy objects (up to 50lbs); ability to withstand varied weather conditions, including heat and rain
● Must have a valid driver’s license
The Fall Assistant Farm Crew Leader will be paid a salary of $17/hour and will not exceed 120
hours total. All required work gear will be provided. Please note: All offers are contingent upon passing CORI and SORI background checks. Full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
To apply send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Roots Rising is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law.
We understand that our employees have varying needs and aim to create a healthy, successful
work environment for all. We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace.
Lastly, we believe that the communities we serve must be centered in the work we do. Therefore
people of color and people with experience accessing food resources are highly encouraged to