Hiring: Farm Apprentice – Siena Farms
Siena Farms is an award-winning, 75-acre market farm growing diversified produce on the fertile soils of the Sudbury River valley, twenty-five miles west of Boston. We distribute our produce through our 750-member, year-round CSA, the Copley Square Farmers’ Market, our two Boston farm stores, and area restaurants including family-owned Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. We grow our produce using the traditionally-sustainable farming practices of modern, biological agriculture, free of chemical pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.
- To produce the largest quantity of the highest-quality food possible within the realities of our land base, markets, economics, time, and weather, using biologically responsible methods that give priority to the long-term health of our fields, farmers, and customers.
- To work as intelligently, efficiently, and safely as possible, to increase both our productivity and profitability, and to develop novel, successful production and marketing techniques that can serve as models for other farmers.
- To promote and refine the Siena Farms brand by delivering an exceptional product, providing great customer service, and strengthening our ties to the local community.
Our Work Culture
Fast-paced, attentive to detail, with one over-arching goal: appreciation. Farming is challenging at every hour of every season, but we know that at the end of the day we’re so lucky to be living the dream of working together to grow fresh, healthy food for customers who support and inspire us — and, of nurturing our beautiful farmland for future generations, to the best of our ability.
2016 Apprenticeship at Siena Farms
We are seeking hardworking, high-energy, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2016 team. Our apprentices participate in all of the farm’s daily operations, including production, harvest, and retail. This traditional, hands-on apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be an integral, productive part of our fast-paced, for-profit farm. Apprentices gain knowledge, farming skills, and professional work-experience to help them prepare for the next steps in their agricultural careers. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming experience preferred but not required.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with start dates between April and June, and an end date in mid-December. Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, 5 days per week. Compensation includes hourly wage, farm veggies, and employee discounts at our own retail outlets as well as Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. Please note that we do not currently offer on-farm housing for employees.
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, and thinning
- Daily harvest of our 200+ varieties of vegetables, herbs, and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
Sales & Distribution
- Assisting with display, sales, and customer service at Siena Farms South End, Siena Farms @ Boston Public Market, and the Copley Square Farmers’ Market.
- Preparation and packing of wholesale orders for restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm tours and volunteer days
Weekly Training Sessions
- Paid participation in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm tours (visitwww.easternmasscraft.wordpress.com for details)
- On-farm training sessions on practical farming topics, including crop-planning, field-planning, business-planning, marketing, soil fertility, pest and disease management and irrigation
- Orientation to all of our equipment, as well as our planning documents including crop plans, field plans, soil tests and pricelists
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!