Hiring: Farm Manager – Allendale Farm
Allandale Farm is a vegetable farm and plant nursery in Brookline, MA . We grow 40 acres of diversified vegetable crops and garden plants, operate a busy farmstand/garden center onsite, and provide educational programming and events on the farm. We are currently seeking a long-term relationship with a year-round Farm Manager to join our committed team and oversee all vegetable production, CSA and wholesale operations, and farm maintenance.
- Hires, trains and leads a team of ~12 employees, including field crew and assistant grower positions.
- Oversees and executes all field work, including crop planning, tillage, planting, spraying, harvesting, and cover cropping, both on the farm and on additional offsite acreage.
- Oversees all post-harvest handling and movement of produce to outlets (our farmstand, wholesale, CSA)
- Innovates and drives progressive and sustainable field to market strategies
- Demonstrates and keeps current with thorough knowledge of and adherence to MDAR and GAP regulations as they pertain to issues of chemical storage/application and food safety.
- Serves as lead mechanic and maintains fleet of vehicles and farming implements
- Serves as primary caretaker of the property, including oversight of the following: farm roads and parking lot maintenance (grading and plowing); grass cutting/weed control; forest management; greenhouse and grounds security.
- Writes and manages: budget for farm operations; annual summary reports; employee performance reviews
- Participates on management team, including weekly meetings and fostering collaborative work environment
- Manages seasonal adjunct responsibilities (e.g. Christmas tree handling and sales)
- Five plus years experience in vegetable production (organic preferred) in a leadership and supervisory role
- Demonstrated skill in safely operating farm machinery
- Relevant pesticide applicator and food safety training/certificates
- Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred
- Proficient with MS Office and Google Apps.
- Valid driver’s license
- 40-60 hours/week
- Competitive annual salary with bonus opportunity
- Housing (Single family house; 3 bed, 1.5 bath)
- Four weeks paid vacation
- Health care benefits
- Retirement plan (after 2 years of employment)
To apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org