Hiring: Farmer – Kroka Farm
Kroka Expeditions is seeking an experienced Farmer to work alongside our current farm manager through the leadership transition of Kroka Farm. Our current manager/founder of the farm will be moving on in 2022. Our diversified farm is comprised of 30 acres of pasture, hay fields and gardens amidst a beautiful 100-acre campus. Livestock includes dairy cows, laying hens, and a draft horse. Our gardens produce a variety of greens, root crops, fruits, and berries to feed 1,000 students who join Kroka’s programs annually. The farm is managed by two full-time farmers and aided by apprentices, staff, and students.
Working in a close-knit team, our farmers plan and execute food production and farm education, while caring for the land and the animals using biodynamic and organic practices.
Schedule: Year-round, full-time, salaried.
Responsibilities: Working in a team, the Kroka Farmer will conduct all aspects of managing Kroka’s diversified educational farm, balancing productivity with educational goals. Responsibilities include:
• Planning and execution of a diversified vegetable production – for consumption by students
and staff, market sales, and donations to local area food banks
• Overseeing daily chores and maintenance of the farm
• Developing educational curriculum for students and apprentices
• Facilitate daily and weekly work projects with students of all ages
• Train and mentor Farm Apprentices
• Maintain farm equipment and barn spaces
• Assist with pasture management
• Collaborate with program coordinators to meet the food needs of the organization
Qualifications & Experience: Qualified candidates will have a minimum of 5 seasons experience in organic farming/gardening as well as the following qualifications:
• Diversified gardening including season-extension
• Excited to engage in farm education with students ages 9 – 19, apprentices, and staff
• Desire to join a community of staff and students working towards a sustainable future
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a strong work ethic, a consistent positive
attitude, attention to detail, and a capacity for cooperative teamwork
• Valid driver’s license with clean record
• Ability to work outdoors in a physically active role year round
• Animal husbandry – including dairy and poultry
• Understanding of intensive rotational grazing, including fencing and pasture management
• Proficiency in operating a tractor and implements – mechanical skills are a plus
Compensation & Benefits: Being one of Kroka’s farmers is a year-round, full time, residential position.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Kroka staff benefits include health insurance, retirement benefits, vacation and health days, and participation in a vibrant community.
To Apply: visit www.kroka.org/hiring to begin an application, or email firstname.lastname@example.org