Hiring: Farmers Market Assistant – Grow Food Northampton
Date posted: July 19, 2022
Job Type and Schedule: Part-time (6-8 hours per week).
For the summer TuesdayMarket, between mid-April and mid-November, availability is required on Tuesday afternoons from 11:00-7:00 p.m. For the Winter Market between late November and
early April, availability is required from 9:00-3:00 on Saturdays. (There is an additional
opportunity to support our food distribution program on Thursday mornings from 9-12
though the end of October. An ideal candidate would be able to support both
programs, but it is not a requirement.)
Compensation and Benefits: $16.50-18.50 per hour.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and
email@example.com with a brief description of your skills and experience and why you are interested in this position. You may attach a resume (optional). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About Grow Food Northampton
Grow Food Northampton is a food justice organization providing food and land access to all members of our community. Grow Food Northampton owns a 121-acre community farm that leases land to ten farms that practice sustainable agriculture; manages a 330-plot organic community garden; operates a vibrant downtown farmers market; educates adults and kids about gardening and farming through farm field trips and classroom workshops; and manages food access initiatives that invite people of all
incomes into the local food movement. Founded in 2010, Grow Food Northampton is rooted in values of anti-racism and environmental justice, and serves the city of Northampton and nearby communities with four full-time and six part-time staff members, and interns and volunteers.
The Farmers Market Assistant will support the operations of Grow Food Northampton’s spring/summer/fall Tuesday Market and the Northampton Winter farmers markets. They will work with customers, vendors and volunteers to create a welcoming and vibrant environment. They will assist Grow Food Northampton’s Farmers Market Manager with all activities at the markets including those listed below.
● Set up and take-down market tents and related tables and equipment each week
● Provide supportive and friendly customer service to shoppers and vendors
● Staff card machine at market and answer customer questions
● Support data tracking for SNAP incentive program and market income
● Educate the public about any programs happening at the market and help run any
data collection or surveys in relation to SNAP incentive work
● Help coordinate volunteers at the markets
● Represent Grow Food Northampton and educate the public about the
organization’s mission and programs
● Other duties as agreed upon by the Farmers Market Assistant and Farmers Market
● Interpersonal and communication skills, sound judgment, and professionalism
● Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and diverse groups of people
● Patience, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude
● Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
● Meet the physical requirements of the farmers market, including but not limited to: lifting 50 pounds and spending time outdoors.
● This position requires a physical presence and interaction with volunteers and program participants. Following the safety protocols defined by Grow Food Northampton is required.
Grow Food Northampton is an equal opportunity provider and employer. People of all races,
colors, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, and ability, are
encouraged to apply. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity and are committed to
building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more
inclusive we are, the better our work will be.