Hiring: Field Crew – Gaining Ground Farm
2021 Field Crew at Gaining Ground Farm
Gaining Ground is a 3 acre non-profit, no-till, organic farm in Concord, MA that grows produce for 15 hunger relief organizations alongside community volunteers. In the 2020 growing season we grew over 120,00 pounds of produce, supplying more than 1,000 food-insecure households each week in the Greater Boston region.
Gaining Ground uses regenerative practices centering around soil health and fertility and creating diversity on the farm. The farm has been recognized for bio-intensive farming practices and is part of no- till studies led by NOFA, MDAR and USDA/NRCS, testing the soil health and nutrients of our produce.
Our grassroots organization thrives on committed, friendly individuals who support our mission with enthusiasm and a sense of humor. We are now hiring field crew members for the 2021 season. Some positions run from April to November, others May-October or June-August (precise start/end dates TBA).
- 40 hours per week
- 5 day work week, Tuesday – Saturday
- 1 Sunday/month for weekend chores
- Work directly with the farm manager and other field crew members
- Implement all aspects of the farm including; greenhouse work, field preparations, soil fertility, irrigation, cover cropping, planting, cultivating, harvesting, distribution to recipients
- Lead and work alongside volunteers of all ages and abilities on a daily basis (COVID-19 safety protocols will be strictly enforced)
- Manage wash station for a week at a time on a rotating schedule
- Lead a free farmer’s market for a recipient partner 1x per month
- Watering/Farm chores 1 Sunday per month
- Interest in or experience with no-till farming practices
- Ability to work independently, as well as with the farm manager and other members of a small team
- Ability to lead and work alongside volunteers on a daily basis
- Comfortable interacting with active board and interacting with recipient groups
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions. (heat, rain etc.)
- Organized, punctual and attentive to detail
- Self motivated and curious to learn and develop farming methods
- Quality, speed and efficiency is important
- Satisfactory background and reference checks
- A valid driver’s license
- Cell phone communication
- Reliable transportation
Please note that we are unable to provide housing as part of this position. Having your own means of transportation (car or bike) is strongly encouraged, as we are unfortunately not located close to public transport. To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!