Hiring: Field Positions – Riverland Farm
Riverland Farm in Western Massachusetts is an established 50+ acre diversified vegetable operation marketing through several wholesale accounts and a winter CSA. Our Certified Organic farm is seeking highly motivated and eager individuals to fill key positions for the 2019 season. Please send resume detailing any relevant experience, employment references, and which position you are applying for to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Full Time Field Positions- 45-60 hrs/week
(Part time positions can be discussed but will greatly depend on availability and scheduling needs)
Runs May 1st – Nov 25th with possibility begin in April or to continue into December
All applicants will be considered for these positions but those with prior farm experience will be given preference. You must have a valid driver’s license to apply
The people in these positions make up the core of our field production crew and will be responsible for a myriad of tasks in the production of fresh high quality produce from seed to harvest and pack out. Farming is a very physically demanding job. The days are long and variable and require people with good mental and physical stamina. Working on a farm crew often fosters lasting connections and friendships. We have a small and tight knit crew that works very closely with one another on a daily basis. We aim to have our crew working together towards common goals and supporting one another through the wide range of ups and downs of farming. A person that excels in this role is a good team player, has a positive attitude and good work ethic, is efficiently minded, has a good sense of humor, and is physically fit.
- Greenhouse work including seeding, transplanting, filling seedling trays with soil, moving seedling trays around and out of the greenhouse
- Field work including transplanting by machine and hand, hoeing, hand weeding, and managing row cover
- Harvest work is mostly done by hand for the many vegetable crops we grow and requires a lot of heavy lifting, it includes using sharp tools (knives / clippers), rubber bands for making bunches, and requires a lot of counting and meticulous quality control.
- Post-harvest work including assisting the washroom manager with produce washing and packing activities.
- Operation of farm vehicles
- Clean up of farm waste and organization of materials
- Additionally some tasks such as light carpentry, painting, and building or equipment maintenance will be part of these positions.
- Pay starts at $12.00/hr.