Hiring: Field Production Manager – Atlas Farm
Atlas Farm Field Production Manager
Founded in 2004, Atlas Farm is a 95-acre certified organic, diversified family farm with its roots in
the fertile soil of the Connecticut River Valley. Our produce is sold at the Atlas Farm Store, Farmer’s
Markets and to wholesale customers throughout New England. Atlas Farm is seeking a Field
Production Manager. The Field Production Manager is responsible for the production of all field grown
crops, field crew management, coordination with other farm management staff, and general operational management.
Scope of Work:
● Oversee one equipment operator, one seasonal equipment operator, three seasonal field crew
supervisors (each leading a team of 5-8 workers)
● Daily effective communication and coordination with packing house, greenhouse, and retail
● Field preparation;
◦ Spreading fertilizer and making fertilizer calculations.
◦ Calibrating equipment.
◦ Tillage, bed prep, shaping beds and laying plastic mulch.
◦ Coordinating with greenhouse manager and farm owner for scheduling transplanted crops,
setting up and managing transplanting jobs with field crew supervisors.
◦ Direct seeding vegetable crops and cover crops
◦ Managing row covers.
◦ Managing field crews in hoeing, hand weeding, staking and trellising crops
◦ Setting up cultivators for various crops
◦ Scheduling cultivation priorities with farm owner and equipment operators
◦ Pest management: scouting fields and making pest management decisions
◦ Selecting materials, making spray calculations and spraying crops
◦ Calibrating and cleaning spray equipment.
◦ Scheduling irrigation priorities with farm owner and equipment operators
◦ Setting up and operating pumps, drip irrigation, solid set irrigation, and hard hose traveler as
◦ Maintaining inventory of irrigation supplies and repairing or purchasing as needed.
◦ Managing field crews during daily harvests
◦ Daily communication and coordinating with wholesale manager, farmers’ market manager,
and farm store manager about crop availability and field conditions.
◦ Operating equipment for mechanical harvest.
● Equipment maintenance
◦ Monitoring and changing fluids, cleaning and maintaining tractors, vehicles, and
implements, performing basic repairs and notifying the farm manager and/or farm mechanic
of more extensive maintenance or repairs needed.
● Maintaining inventory of field supplies including fertilizers, pesticides, drip tape, plastic mulch,
and hand tools, purchasing supplies as needed.
● Crop planning
● Equipment sourcing
● Field production research and training
● Building maintenance and repair: assisting farm mechanic and facilities manager with
“handyman” work on a variety of farm buildings including packing house, farm store, labor
housing, greenhouses, and high tunnels
● New building projects: assisting with new construction projects
● Greenhouse: assisting greenhouse manager with greenhouse production tasks and planning
Field production tasks are the focus of the job year-round, but especially during April through
November. Additional areas of focus from December through March.
● April through November: average 60 hours/week with ramp up and down on both ends of the
main growing season; rotating part-time hours on weekends.
● December through March: Average 35 hours/week.
Qualifications & Requirements
● Bring more than 3+ years of organic farming experience along with mechanical ability.
● Management ability (planning, forecasting, pricing, procurement)
● Proficient in Microsoft Office
● Quickbooks experience preferred but not required
● Ability to operate farm equipment; tractor and tractor drawn implements for up to 8-10 hours
● Ability to stand for long periods of time, walk, reach with hands and arms, as well as stooping,
kneeling, crouching and climbing.
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds often
● Competitive annual salary
● Complimentary farm produce
● 25% discount on all purchased products at the Atlas Farm Store
● 80 hours paid vacation time in year one with annual review; up to 1 additional week of unpaid
vacation time available from December-March
● Health Insurance benefits TBD
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without
attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or