Hiring: Finance Coordinator – Roots Rising
Job Summary” The Finance Coordinator is a key player in Roots Rising’s regular operations. With an eye for accuracy, timeliness, and attention to detail, the Finance Coordinator will hold ingredients key to
the day-to-day functioning of Roots Rising’s financial operations. The Finance Coordinator will be supported by a strong culture of collaboration, passionate staff and Board of Directors, and a caring, human-centered work environment.
Roots Rising practices a shared leadership structure, with the belief that wisdom is not confined to any single individual, and that success comes from the raising up of multiple voices and perspectives. The
Finance Coordinator will be a participating voice in this ecosystem, and will have the Operations
Director as a key resource and functioning supervisor.
Statement of Equity
Roots Rising encourages candidates from all backgrounds to join our team. We believe that a
diverse team enhances our ability to fulfill our mission and grow as an organization. We are
committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment where each employee’s
contributions are recognized, valued, and celebrated.
We understand that our employees have varying needs; we aim to create a healthy, successful
work environment for all, and we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace.
Roots Rising is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon
race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability,
or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Over and above our commitment to nondiscrimination, we believe that our organization should
reflect the communities we serve. In staying true to this commitment Roots Rising actively seeks
to employ members of the community who have experienced food insecurity, as well as
members of historically marginalized groups, including, but not limited to, Black and Brown folx,
LGBTQ+ folx, and differently abled folx.
Roots Rising is an award-winning organization whose mission is to empower youth and build
community through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community changemakers
and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of meaningful work.
Roots Rising has three main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market, our Youth Crews, and our
upcoming Youth Farm.
Our Pittsfield Farmers Market is the first teen-run market in the region and was the first
year-round market in Berkshire County. It was founded with the belief that everyone should have
access to fresh, healthy food.
In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own
market. It’s more than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful
work—work that needs to be done and serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work
leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and connected.
Roots Rising’s third major initiative will be a Youth Farm in Pittsfield. This farm will be an
intersection of our food justice and youth development work. We are in the beginning stages of
launching this new initiative.
BILL ENTRY & RECONCILIATION
● Reconcile transactions related to the Pittsfield Farmers Market on a weekly basis
● Record and pay bills, including payments to Farmers Market vendors
DEPOSITS & RECORDKEEPING
● Record all contributions including individual donations and grants; reconcile with
NeonCRM in partnership with Operations Manager
● Record deposit information
● Maintain chart of accounts
● Report and reconcile payroll biweekly, manage SIMPLE IRA contribution benefits
● Reconcile all money accounts (ex. credit card, bank, SNAP, HIP)
● Generate and review monthly Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet for Executive Director;
prepare those materials for Board of Directors
● Compile documents for accountant annually
● Generate sales tax reports submitted on regular basis; generate budget reports for grant
documentation as needed
● Offer solutions towards increasing the efficiency of Roots Rising’s financial systems
● Upkeep cash flow, provide insight and strategy on Roots Rising’s financial position
● Two or more years experience accurately and efficiently managing day to day financial
● Experience working in QuickBooks online
● Detail oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills
● Ability to work independently while also being a strong team player
● Certification from the National Association of Certified Public Finance Coordinators, or
additional training in finance or accounting
The Finance Coordinator is a part-time, non-exempt position, compensated at $20-$23/hr and
averaging 10 hours per week. Daily work hours are flexible and can usually be chosen in
accordance with the Finance Coordinators’s schedule, if not in conflict with upcoming deadlines.
This position is a hybrid role, with regular in-person group work in Pittsfield, MA.
Roots Rising aims to support a balanced and joyful life for our employees. We aim to create a
healthy, successful work environment for all, with the understanding that employees have
varying needs. And we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace. For part-time
employees, benefits include a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer contribution.
To apply, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.