Hiring: Food Hub Manager – Worcester County Food Bank
The Worcester Regional Food Hub (https://worcesterfoodhub.org/) is an innovative and collaborative project aimed at strengthening the local food system and increasing access to healthy food throughout Central Massachusetts. The Food Hub provides aggregation and distribution services for local growers while serving as a centralized source of local produce for institutional buyers in the region, thereby expanding the market for the local food system. It also operates an incubator kitchen which provides affordable commercial kitchen space for food entrepreneurs and offers technical assistance and consulting services. The Food Hub was started in 2015 by the Regional Environmental Council and the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce with its core functions based out of the Worcester County Food Bank (WCFB) in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts and with funding from The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts. Beginning in 2018, the WCFB will lead implementation of the Food Hub.
The WCFB (https://foodbank.org/) believes that healthy food is a fundamental right of all people and that hunger is an issue of social justice. WCFB’s mission is to engage, educate, and lead Worcester County in creating a hunger-free community. To that end, WCFB annually collects over 6 million pounds of perishable and non-perishable food and distributes it through a network of 120 Partner Agencies, including food pantries and community meal programs; trains Partner Agencies in food safety; and advocates for systemic and sustainable solutions to support children, families, and senior citizens in being more food secure and healthy.
This new Food Hub Manager position will provide strategic leadership, as well as day-to-day oversight of all aspects of the Food Hub’s core operations, including the aggregation and distribution of local produce and value-added products to institutional buyers and the management of an incubator commercial kitchen. This individual will be an employee of the WCFB, and this hands-on position will report to and work with the Executive Director of the WCFB and supervise 2-3 Food Hub staff members. It is anticipated that this position would begin in January 2018.
- Supervises Food Hub staff (Kitchen Operations Manager, Sales Manager, and Operations Associate/Driver). Promotes a culture of integration and coordination among staff. Ensures that the responsibilities and accountability of staff members are defined and understood and coaches staff in areas requiring improvement.
- Leverages entrepreneurial/business background to foster relationships with leaders across sectors and identify new opportunities for collaboration and growth.
- Guides and directs management of all aspects of the Food Hub’s daily operations ensuring efficient and effective use of Food Hub resources and optimal service to project partners. Develops and implements procedures to promote appropriate communication and information sharing.
- Manages relationships with Food Hub partnering organizations as well as requirements for The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts Synergy Initiative Grant (e.g., quarterly Grant Management Team meetings).
- Coordinates Food Hub operations with WCFB warehouse staff to ensure overall operations are as efficient as possible.
- Establishes and implements operating policies consistent with best practices. Works with the WCFB Executive Director to establish and uphold policies consistent with the WCFB’s mission.
- In partnership with staff, measures and evaluates the results of Food Hub operations and regularly reports these results to the project leadership team. Recommends changes as necessary to improve operations.
- Ensures that all operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing business operations. In collaboration with the WCFB Warehouse and Facility Manager, maintains and documents food safety procedures according to the standards of the American Institute of Baking (AIB). Assists the WCFB with Feeding America guidelines including completion of annual Network Activity Report and bi-annual Feeding America compliance audit, as needed.
- Collaborates with WCFB Senior Managers and Managers as needed.
- Manages consultants/vendors, as needed.
- Monitors relevant news and developments in the sector.
- Occasional evening or weekend hours for meetings.
- Some local and regional travel required for meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the WCFB Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 6 to 8 years of strong management and supervisory experience.
- Experience starting up and managing a business or social enterprise related to agriculture and food systems.
- Some background working in food production, processing, aggregation, and distribution.
- Outstanding leadership ability and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven track record supervising staff and building successful consumer and partner relationships.
- Self-directed individual with the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as collaborate with others in a team setting.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents including financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities, and solve problems.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial attitude and eagerness to identify new opportunities for Food Hub growth.
- Experience with applying for and managing grants.
- Willingness to work with project partners, including independent evaluators.
- Commitment to strengthening local food systems and increasing access to nutritious food for all.
This is a full-time position. This is a grant-funded position with an expected annual salary range of $70,000 – $85,000, plus benefits and a bonus if sales goals are achieved. Equal Opportunity Employer.
This search is being managed by The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Amie Shei at firstname.lastname@example.org. We anticipate this new position beginning in January 2018.