Hiring: Food Hub Warehouse Coordinator – Food Connects
Food Hub Warehouse Coordinator (FHWC)
Food Connects is seeking a Warehouse Coordinator to join the Operations Team to support the rapidly increasing flow of regionally sourced product moving through our warehouse. This person will employ their technical experience to lend vital backend support to the Operations and Procurement teams. This position will start as a part-time position, but we are hoping for an applicant with interest in growing with this position to full-time over the next six months.
Position Title: Food Hub Warehouse Coordinator (FHWC)
Supervisor: Food Hub Warehouse Specialist (FHWS)
Employee Status: Part-Time, Non-exempt, Hourly (25-30 hours per week)
We value diversity in all of its forms and strive to have our employment practices reflect that. As such, we are an equal opportunity workplace and will not discriminate on the basis of disability or other legally protected categories. If an employee has a disability that makes it difficult to perform their job duties, they are encouraged to notify us to engage in a discussion about reasonable accommodations.
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers locally produced food as well as educational and consulting services aimed at transforming local food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects (FC) is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, local farmers with new markets, and school chefs with local food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified local food from over 80 farms and value-added producers to over 140 wholesale customers located in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we have vehicles on the road for pickups and deliveries 5 to 6 days per week. The Food Hub is experiencing rapid growth and will be expanding operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
The Food Hub Warehouse Coordinator (FHWC) will assist in the warehouse, helping to coordinate Food Hub (FH) Warehouse operations. This role helps ensure the warehouse is optimally utilized and in compliance with all applicable regulations, and contributes to the safe and timelyflow of Food Hub products.
The FHWC must have consistently exceptional organizational, systems thinking, problem-solving, and record-keeping skills. They should be adept at thinking and planning spatially and have a high level of attention to detail. This is a hands-on position with the expectation that this individual will be flexible and able to jump in where needed to optimize operations and support other team members.
The FHWC will have one regular driving route per week, and will be fully trained to operate all Food Hub vehicles to help cover driving shifts as needed.
The FHWC is supervised by the FH Warehouse Specialist (FHWS) and works in close partnership with the FH Operations Team.
- Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed.
- Task Management: Can prioritize tasks and work toward their completion through tracking details and progress and, when needed, toggling between different projects or assignments.
- Time Management: Can organize time for optimum efficacy with regard to deadlines, collaboration, competing priorities, and personal work style.
- Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things, willingness to modify one’s preferred way or doing things.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists FHWS with day-to-day warehouse operations, including order picking and labeling product, sorting orders and ensuring they contain the correct products, staging orders in delivery order, and helping load orders onto delivery vehicles to ensure quality, food safety, and personal safety.
- Coordinates with Operations Team to ensure food safety compliance, planning, and adherence to regulatory guidelines, while supporting smooth daily operations.
- Assists with coordinating cross-dock requests and product flow, as needed.
- Assists with inventory management, ensuring that all inventory is received accurately, accounted for, and stored safely to preserve product quality. Perishability is anticipated and mitigated.
- Assists with monthly inventory processes.
- Assist with loading products on and off delivery vehicles to ensure a safe and efficient delivery process as well as maintaining product quality during transit.
- Coordinates last minute order changes, paperwork updates, and route details between Food Hub delivery drivers.
- Assists FH drivers with questions as needed.
Warehouse Compliance & Sanitation
- Assists with facility set up and warehouse maintenance programs in compliance with food safety regulations to maintain a clean & hazard free warehouse.
- Ensures compliance with food safety processes, including temperature tracking on incoming product and outgoing vehicles, allergen handling, product handling and storage, and temperature control in all food handling zones.
- Assists with warehouse sanitation tasks, including completing and maintaining all required warehouse sanitation logs
Food Hub Deliveries
- Ensures safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all Food Hub products in vehicles as large as a 24-foot reefer box truck.
- Acts as a cheerful, positive, and professional representative of Food Connects, and in all outward-facing interactions, especially with our customers, producers, and partners.
- Inspects and verifies the complete contents and quality of all Food Hub products during pickup. Quickly communicates any shortages or other issues to the Food Hub Operations Manager.
- Communicates ETAs and order status directly with specific producers and customers , as needed.
- Track and communicate mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
- Fill in for other FH staff when needed, including covering routes.
- Assist in training new FH employees, specifically delivery drivers and warehouse staff, as needed.
- Attend regular one-on-one check-ins with FH Warehouse Specialist, and check-ins with the Warehouse Team and Operations Team to seek and provide proactive and constructive feedback for mutual improvement and the general betterment of the FH.
- Engage in annual self-review.
- Participate in annual peer-review processes for FC and FH employees as required.
- Other duties as needed to assist the Food Hub in fulfilling its mission.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Food Connects will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of their work to the degree we are able to do so.
- The position is based in the Food Connects Food Hub facility in Brattleboro, VT.
- The duties for this position take place in a combination of warehouse environment, delivery vehicles, and office/desk workstation, .
- Food Hub staff may be expected to work holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, etc.) as needed to support the order cycle.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move products (up to 50 lbs) as needed.
- Ability to operate pallet jacks and lift trucks in the warehouse.
- Ability and willingness to drive delivery vans and trucks, as required.
- Ability to drive continuously, with stops, for a full workday.
- Ability to work and drive in various weather conditions.
- This position entails some use of a desktop or laptop computer, sitting or standing at a desk workstation.
- At least 1 year of experience in one or more of the following types of roles:
- Warehouse operations
- Distribution operations
- Other applicable experience
- Driving record free of serious infractions in the last three years.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old (legal requirement for operating DOT registered vehicles).
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Reliable transportation for getting to headquarters in Brattleboro, VT.
- Reliable cell phone with data plan.
- Enthusiastic ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Comfortable with change and growth and the ability to jump in where needed to optimize operations.
- Cheerful, professional presence. A sense of humor and a positive, can-do attitude.
- At least three professional references.
- Experience in logistics and/or food distribution.
- Knowledge of basic food safety regulations.
- ServSafe Certified.
- Experience operating pallet jacks and forklifts.
- General knowledge of veggies, fruits, or other locally-produced items.
- Familiarity and alignment with Food Connects’ mission and organizational culture.
- Existing relationships with local food producers.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of delivery services.
- Experience driving box delivery trucks / straight trucks or other comparably-sized vehicles. Note that our trucks DO NOT require a CDL.
- Some mechanical knowledge/familiarity with diesel trucks.
- This is a part-time, 25-30 hour/week position.
- Beginning at $18.75 hourly. Negotiable depending on experience.
- A part-time position has the following benefits after a 90-day introductory period:
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, personal, and holiday leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Access to vision and dental insurance
- 15% employee discount on food purchases.
- 2% retirement contribution
The ideal candidate has availability during the hours below, but there may be flexibility for the right candidate.
- Monday: 7:30AM – 4PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 – 4PM
- Summer/Fall Hours: 6AM-2PM
- Off-season: 7AM-3PM