Hiring: Interim Development and Communications Coordinator – Gardening the Community
Founded in 2002, in Springfield, MA, Gardening the Community (GTC) (www.gardeningthecommunity.org), a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks (www.tsne.org), is a food justice organization engaged in youth development, urban agriculture and sustainable living to build healthy and equitable communities. GTC works with youth to grow food on vacant lots and organizes to expand healthy, affordable food access in the Mason Square neighborhoods of Springfield. GTC’s vision includes building a vibrant, healthy food system with just and equal access to it – one that recognizes and addresses inequity – so racism no longer determines the health or well-being of a neighborhood or community.
We are seeking an Interim Development and Communications Coordinator to fulfill the job while our permanent employee is away on leave beginning mid-August and continuing through until January 3. Reporting to the Co-Director for Administration and Finance, the Development and Communications Coordinator builds and maintains GTC’s development infrastructure, supports donor cultivation and solicitation efforts and increases GTC’s visibility throughout its donor communities. The position also helps manage administrative functions related to revenue tracking. We are looking for someone who is a fast learner, passionate about GTC’s mission, committed to expanding community support and funding for GTC’s work in Springfield and the region, and able to step in on an interim basis. The position is for 30 hours/week, and targeted for August 12, 2019 – January 3, 2020.
- Manage GTC’s CRM database, including updating donor records, processing and thanking all incoming gifts and developing reports to support fundraising campaigns and appeals;
- Recruit and manage development interns and volunteers for GTC;
- Provide support to Development Committee including organizing monthly meetings.
Donor cultivation, solicitation and tracking
- Manage donor mailings and spring and fall appeals;
- Track and manage pledges as well as sustainer gifts to ensure on-time payment;
- Analyze donor giving patterns to increase donations and giving levels;
- Assist with individual donor cultivation and stewardship strategies including managing donor appreciation and other communications;
- Conduct research on donor prospects and manage other strategies to expand donor base;
- Manage fundraising and donor cultivation events, such as house parties and community fundraisers;
- Manage sponsorship solicitations, invoicing and follow up.
Visibility and Communications
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing GTC’s visibility throughout our donor and grantor communities, including the use of social media and videos;
- Assist with design, preparation and distribution of the annual report and other reports to donors;
- Coordinate design of outreach materials for GTC appeals and specific events;
- Work with other staff to produce a monthly newsletter;
- Assist Co-Director for Program and Marketing with website updates and other tasks as delegated;
- Manage and update email lists.
- Prepare deposits as delegated; prepare checks for mailing to fiscal sponsor and maintain revenue files;
- Reconcile donations recorded through fiscal sponsor (TSNE) with GTC payment processor records;
- Reconcile wireless terminal receipts related to fundraising initiatives.
- Engage GTC youth in fundraising and visibility work in ways that develop their skills and leadership;
- Participate in GTC work days and other growing/market work.
The salary range $15 – $18/hour depending on experience. Benefits include generous health and dental plans, flexible work hours, paid time off, and regular access to delicious, locally grown vegetables.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Analytical and comfortable working with databases;
- Demonstrated experience in project or event coordination in a fast paced environment;
- Highly organized, with acute attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including writing;
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Solid computer literacy and skills in internet research;
- Ability to learn new skills quickly;
- Comfortable working independently and in a team environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of GTC and to racial justice;
- Experience working in multi-racial, multicultural organizations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Knows and loves Springfield, MA.
- Experience with a constituent relationship management (CRM) database;
- Experience with visibility and/or promotions work for organizations;
- Experience with MailChimp, Facebook, Instagram, Weebly and design software;
- Volunteer management experience;
- 2+ years’ experience in the nonprofit field, preferably in fundraising;
- Bilingual (Spanish/English).
TSNE MissionWorks/Gardening the Communityenvisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks/Gardening the Community will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law