Hiring: Local Food Program Coordinator – Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts
Local Food Program Coordinator
About: The Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) is a non-profit membership
organization that engages business and community leaders in building economies that are
local, green, and fair. SBN’s Local Food Program is known regionally for its work supporting
local food businesses and farms through events, campaigns, and workshops.
The Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) is seeking a Local Food Program
Coordinator. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker, team player who can also work
independently, and motivated professional with an interest in the following areas:
communications, event planning, and local food. This role involves promoting, selling, and
enrolling organizations for our various events, as well as implementing those events.
Successful candidates will be resourceful team players that thrive in dynamic work
environments and enjoy taking on new challenges.
● Event Planning and Program Coordination (50%)
○ Assist in the operations, planning, implementation, and partner coordination of the following established SBN events and programs: Local Food & Specialty
Crop Trade Show, Eat Local MA Campaign, Boston Local Food Festival, B2B events, Speed Trading and other Workshops.
○ Recruit vendors, food buyers, attendees, volunteers, and sponsors.
○ Manage event registrations, payments, and communications of event details to registrants.
○ Co-develop farm and food business workshops.
○ Key-contributor to the Local Food Program strategic development plan.
● Communications and Marketing (35%)
○ Manage the Boston Local Food brand, marketing and content creation for SBN’s Local Food Programs, brand, and promotion of member organizations with supervision by the Local Food Program Manager and consultation from SBN’s strategic partners.
○ Manage the Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok) for Boston Local Food Programs.
○ Build and maintain relationships with partners and businesses in food.
○ Lead writing and creation of two monthly newsletters.
○ Promote the Eat Local MA App to increase usage and downloads
● Organizational Support (15%)
○ Assist with strategic planning and organizational decision making.
○ Support SBN’s other programs and daily operations, including the Sustainable Business Awards, Annual Conference, and other programs and events.
○ Take lead and represent SBN in internal and external meetings as appropriate.
○ Assist in managing 1-2 interns at any given time for the Local Food Programs
● 4-year college degree or equivalent experience
● 2-5 years work experience in communications/marketing, events planning, graphic
design, food service, food sales, food systems, or agriculture.
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills
● Demonstrated skill in relationship building, sales, and/or customer service
● Strong presentation and public speaking skills
● Highly collaborative team player who demonstrates a positive attitude
● Quick learner, detail-oriented, multi-tasker and self-starter who can work independently
and organize many competing priorities to meet deadlines.
● Proficient using:
○ All basic Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
○ Google Drive/G-Suite
○ Zoom or equivalent video software tool
● Occasional weekend and evening hours required around event programming.
● Knowledge of food system industry: food service/culinary, food distribution/sales, food
events, food policy, and/or food initiatives in Massachusetts and New England
● Experience and familiarity with several of the following tools or equivalents:
○ Canva, HubSpot, Formstack, Squarespace, HootSuite, Video-editing software
Expectations and Compensation
● 40 hours per work (non-exempt hourly position)
● Salary: $25 per hour
● Ability to work in a 1:4 hybrid environment: 1 day from home and 4 days in our newly
renovated office in Central Square, Cambridge.
● Benefits include:
○ Monthly health insurance contribution of $300.00, 401k plan, 13 days paid
vacation/sick combined, 8 paid holidays
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We plan to fill this position by March 31,