Hiring: Local Sustainability Specialist – Arnold’s Meats
Arnold’s Meats is a mid-sized wholesale distributor and butchery located in Chicopee, MA. It is a family owned company that has been in operation for over 40 years and services over 500 customer accounts across Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New England. Arnold’s Meats’ many accounts range from city schools and colleges, to pizza places and white tablecloth restaurants, hospitals and local clubs. Arnold’s has recently developed a Local and Sustainable Product Line, focusing on regional products within New England or 250 miles. This includes a local beef/mushroom blend, certified humane and antibiotic-free poultry, local pork, milk, cheese, eggs, butter, seafood, and more. Arnold’s now seeks a Local Sustainability Specialist to build and manage its growing focus on regional and sustainable foods. This position is based in Chicopee, MA.
Under the direction of the President of Arnold’s Meats, the Local Sustainability Specialist is responsible for planning, initiating and managing relationships and sales with suppliers as well as customer accounts. This includes planning long and short term goals to grow sales within the Local/Sustainable Product Line within Arnold’s Meats. This position will also work closely with the Arnold’s general sales and purchasing team, receiving dock, butchers, and office staff.
Examples of Duties:
- Generate a strategy to build on the success of Arnold’s Meats’ “Local Beef and Mushroom Blend.” This includes setting up appointments with chefs and foodservice directors at K-12 schools, colleges, universities, hospitals, jails, and other institutions and restaurants. Expand upon
- Seek out new opportunities to grow the visibility and reach of Arnold’s Meats “Local/Sustainable Product Line” using multiple channels, networks, and personal connections. Attend and participate at conferences, workshops, events, and trade shows related to sustainability and regional foods as appropriate. This requires travel and occasionally meeting outside of regular business hours.
- Encourage and facilitate new relationships with food businesses and entrepreneurs within New England. Must have a passion for food access and connecting consumers with high quality, local, and healthy foods and supporting the local food economy. Add new local and sustainable suppliers to meet customer demands.
- Coordinate with Arnold’s Meats Executive Sales Manager on public relations activities. This includes preparing sections of the website, designing and improving brochures and other promotional materials, and responding to inquiries. Prepare presentations and grants related to increasing access for local and sustainable foods for Arnold’s Meats.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in environmental studies, education, business, sustainable agriculture, or public administration, or related degree in architecture, engineering, management or science, with an environmental focus.
- At least 2 years of experience in sales and marketing preferred.
- Knowledge of local food system issues, supply chain management, and best practices.
- Leadership experience in environment initiatives and teaching/presenting information. Strong communication skills including writing and public speaking.
- Ability to work independently, to be a team leader, and to work as team member.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, organizational and management skills with attention to detail and accuracy. Strong negotiating skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the ability to learn other software as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and to work with shifting priorities and schedules.
- Excellent team-building, relationship-building, and networking skills. Ability to build and sustain excellent working relationships.
Compensation to commensurate with experience. Flexibility to start part-time or full-time.
Please submit resume by e-mail to Jeff Katz email@example.com and Ryan Harb firstname.lastname@example.org byFriday, May 12.