Hiring: Market Assistant – Grow Food Northampton
Job Type and Schedule: Part-time (approximately 8 hours per week) with an immediate start date and an end date of November 10, 2020 for this season and beginning again in April of 2021.
Compensation and Benefits: $16.50/hour with no benefits
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 10, 2020. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Ideal start date: immediately.
About Grow Food Northampton
Grow Food Northampton builds a community that supports its farms and farmers and makes local food available to everyone who lives here. Grow Food Northampton owns a 120-acre community farm that leases land to four different farmers practicing sustainable agriculture; manages a vibrant 290-plot organic community garden; grows over 8,000 pounds of produce annually that is donated to people in need; operates a thriving downtown farmers’ market; educates over 1,200 students about local food on the farm and in the classroom annually; and manages food access initiatives that invite people of all incomes into the local food movement. Founded in 2010, Grow Food Northampton serves the city of Northampton and nearby communities with three full-time and three part-time staff members, Terracorps service members, and volunteers.
About Tuesday Market
Tuesday Market is a community-based farmers market in downtown Northampton, managed by Grow Food Northampton. The market operates from 1:30-6:30 pm every Tuesday between mid-April and mid-November.
Grow Food Northampton seeks a Market Assistant to staff Tuesday Market along with the Market Manager during farmers’ market hours. The Market Assistant needs to have great people skills including good boundaries and clear communication, an attention to detail with numbers and data, and, ideally, a love for throwing a party (i.e. a farmers’ market) every week and meeting new people. It’s a plus to know Tuesday Market as a shopper or vendor employee.
- Set up and take-down market tent and related tables and equipment each week.
- Staff EBT machine at market and answer customer questions.
- Track all data for SNAP incentive program.
- Educate the public about any programs happening at the market and help run any data collection or surveys in relation to SNAP incentive work.
- Represent Grow Food Northampton and educate the public about the organization’s mission and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, sound judgment, and professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and diverse groups of people
- Patience, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to working in the community and enthusiasm for local food.
Terms of Employment
- This is a part-time, seasonal position, 8 hours per week.
- The schedule is 11:30 a.m. -7:30 p.m. every Tuesday during the market season. Any scheduled absences for prior commitments should be discussed at hiring.
- Reports to the Market
- Meet the physical requirements setting up and taking down market equipment, including but not limited to, lifting 40 pounds and walking on uneven terrain and prolonged periods of standing.
- This position requires a physical presence and interaction with volunteers and the public. Following the safety protocols defined by Grow Food Northampton is required.