Hiring: Mobile Market Driver/Cashier – Atlas Farm
Mobile Market Driver/Cashier
Atlas Farm a 120-acre certified organic vegetable farm in Deerfield, MA. The farm has a
region-wide reputation for top quality organic produce which is sold to wholesale customers
throughout New England. Our goal is to provide our community with the freshest local produce
possible, even in the depths of winter. To this end, we harvest from our fields and high tunnels
during the spring, summer, and fall, and from our greenhouses in the winter. Atlas Farm strives
to be a model of ecological food production. We engage in organic farming practices that sustain
the ecosystems around us and strive to minimize our resource consumption and environmental
impact. Alongside this effort, the farm aims to address environmental justice concerns through
increased food access work. The farm is part of a growing community of local agricultural
producers working to strengthen food security in our region.
Thanks to a generous grant from the Massachusetts Food Trust, the Atlas Farm Mobile Market
debuted in June 2022. The goal of the program is to provide fresh produce at accessible prices in
communities facing systemic and socioeconomic barriers to healthy food. In 2023 the Mobile
Market is projected to double its reach, running 4 days a week in addition to attending a Saturday
Atlas Farm is seeking a motivated, independent, and trustworthy individual to drive the mobile
market bus and manage all aspects of produce sales. The Mobile Market Driver is expected to
represent Atlas Farm with exceptional customer service and great communication, as well as
excellent driving skills.
The driver will need to work independently at the farm and in the community, including loading
the mobile market bus, driving to multiple stops on the route, assisting customers, and returning
to the farm to unload and clean up. A primary focus of this position is providing courteous,
pleasant, and helpful customer service. Additional responsibilities include managing produce
displays, keeping inventory, and assisting with community outreach efforts. This is a great position for
someone who loves food, cooking, and talking to customers.
Mobile Market Driver will report to the Food Access Coordinator and work closely with the
Retail Produce Manager as well as additional farm staff to ensure the quality of produce being
sold. We value honesty, gratitude, good communication, and a continual-learning mindset.
This position is well-suited to socially minded applicants with excellent customer service skills
and a strong interest in food justice, public health, and building resilient communities.
Experience working in underserved communities is a plus. Spanish language proficiency is a
Like other farm and retail jobs, this position can be physically and mentally demanding.
Applicants must be able to maintain a good attitude in all weather conditions, stand for extended
periods, and lift 50 pounds.
● Safely driving a large vehicle comfortably and with confidence. Keeping calm under
pressure and in traffic
● Maintaining excellent relationships with customers.
● Processing payments and handling cash.
● Maintaining complete and accurate records of inventory and sales
● Follow all food safety protocols related to the storage and transportation of food
● Handling a variety of seasonal produce and setting up displays
● Answering customer questions about produce and cultivating knowledge and enthusiasm
about local agriculture
● Keeping vehicles clean including unloading vehicles at end of workday
● Performing basic equipment checks daily. Reporting any mechanical issues immediately.
● Experience in retail
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● A desire to learn, improve, innovate, have fun, and work hard
● Valid driver’s license required to fulfill job duties. Safe driving is a must.
● Experience driving cargo vans or commercial vehicles in an urban setting
● Experience handling fresh produce
● A desire to create positive, meaningful relationships with customers
● Creative problem-solving skills
● An interest in social justice
● Spanish language proficiency
The Mobile Market will run year-round Tuesdays through Saturdays. The ideal candidate would
be available to drive the bus 2-4 days/week beginning in Mid-May.
Compensation: Pay is commensurate with experience plus free produce.
How to apply – Email Meghan at email@example.com
Atlas Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse and inclusive workforce. We
believe a diverse workforce enables us to be successful and that the communities we serve must
be centered in the work we do. Therefore, people of color and people with experience accessing
food resources are highly encouraged to apply.