Hiring: NOFA/Mass Development Director
The NOFA/Mass Development Director is responsible for leading development activities within NOFA/Mass. The Development Director directly supervises the NOFA/Mass Run Coordinator and the Marketing Director. The Development Director reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a 20-hour-per-week employee position, roughly broken down as 15 hours for development responsibilities and 5 hours for supervisory and organizational tasks. The position pays $18/hour. NOFA/Mass does not offer health insurance to employees.
- Oversees the vision and direction of the fundraising aspects of the Development Program: Grants, Appeals/Major Donors/Board Member giving, Membership, Run Fundraiser, Marketing, and Development Infrastructure.
- Leads grant writing efforts, including: conducting research and receiving research from staff regarding potential opportunities; communicating opportunities to staff to determine viable choices; pulling together appropriate staff for meetings; developing plans and timelines and writing proposals; assuring that proposals are mailed/emailed in a timely fashion to meet deadlines; checking in with appropriate program directors to make sure that grant requirements are being met; and keeping track of all active grants and making sure reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Edits appeal letters for Executive Director, reviews the list of current major donors with the Executive Director every month to determine potential opportunities for larger asks, and assists Development Committee Chair to manage Board Member pledges and giving.
- Organizes monthly meetings with the Development Committee, which takes the lead for overseeing the organization’s overall fundraising work.
- Works closely with the Membership Coordinator on membership building strategies.
- Reviews membership list at least once a year to determine potential major donors and strategizes methods for approaching them.
- Leads and initiates improvement of infrastructure for raising funds including, but not limited to, the development page on the website, brand recognition ideas, record keeping for year-to-year tracking, employer matching funds development, and other initiatives defined by the Development Committee and Executive Director.
- Works closely with the Executive Director in developing grant opportunities with the other NOFA chapters and the NOFA Interstate Council.
- Performs supervisory responsibilities with the Marketing Director and Run Coordinator, including work plan accomplishment, budget development and compliance, performance review, and regular check-ins and strategy sessions.
- Meets monthly individually with the Executive Director, and with the Department Director team.
- A strong commitment to organic farming
- A strong understanding of grant research, writing and tracking
- Experience with major gifts
- Experience working with boards of directors
- Team leader who can work collegially as a team member and who can help inspire the staff team
- Strong capability to work independently and with minor supervision
- Ability to travel for the position
Employee requirements include:
- Membership in NOFA/Mass
- Attendance at Annual Staff Meeting(s), NOFA/Mass Annual Meeting, and Board/Staff Retreat(s)
- Regular Financial Reporting
- Participation in the Budget Process
- Weekly Staff Reports submitted to the Executive Director
- Peer Reviews of other NOFA/Mass primary staff members
- Annual Work Plan
- Timesheets, submitted monthly
- Basic office equipment to facilitate working from home
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Julie Rawson, Executive Director, email@example.com, (978) 355-2853. Starting date for this position is as soon as the right candidate has been selected.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.