Hiring: Operations Coordinator – Food Connects
Food Connects is seeking an Operations Coordinator to join the Food Hub Operations Department to coordinate the day-to-day tasks in support of the Operations and Warehouse Teams to ensure the safe, timely, and undamaged flow of Food Hub products. This person will employ their customer service experience, industry knowledge, and attention to detail to lend vital administrative support to the Operations Team. This position will start as a part-time position, but we are hoping for an applicant interested in growing with this position to full-time in alignment with the growth of the Food Hub.
Position Title: Food Hub Operations Coordinator (FHOC)
Supervisor: Food Hub Operations Manager (FHOM)
Employee Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt (25-31 hours per week)
Start Date: Late February/Early March
We value diversity in all forms and strive to have our employment practices reflect that. We are an equal opportunity workplace and will not discriminate based on disability or other legally protected categories. If an employee has a disability that makes it difficult to perform their job duties, they are encouraged to notify us to engage in a discussion about reasonable accommodations.
About Food Connects
Food Connects is a dynamic and quickly growing nonprofit organization based in Brattleboro, VT that delivers regionally produced food and educational and consulting services aimed at transforming regional food systems. Founded in 2013, Food Connects (FC) is a catalyst for food systems change by connecting the next generation with their food, regional farmers with new markets, and school chefs with regional food.
The Food Connects Food Hub delivers source-identified, regional food from over 125 farms and value-added producers to over 280 wholesale customers in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Massachusetts. Currently, we have vehicles on the road for pickups and deliveries 5 days per week. The Food Hub (FH) is experiencing rapid growth and will expand operations, infrastructure, and delivery schedule over the coming year.
The Food Hub Operations Coordinator (FHOC) coordinates day-to-day tasks supporting the Food Hub Operations and Warehouse teams to ensure the safe, timely, and undamaged flow of Food Hub products. The FHOC is hands-on, and able to support all aspects of Food Hub (FH) operations and other team members as needed. The FHOC is fully trained on driving Food Hub routes and is expected to cover shifts as needed.
- Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed.
- Task Management: Can prioritize tasks and work toward their completion through tracking details and progress and, when needed, toggling between different projects or assignments.
- Time Management: Can organize time for optimum efficacy with regard to deadlines, collaboration, competing priorities, and personal work style.
- Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team.
- Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things, willingness to modify one’s preferred way or doing things.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Food Hub Operations Support (80%)
- Assist Food Hub Operations Manager (FHOM) with day-to-day operations logistics, including daily route schedules and distribution paperwork (warehouse and route paperwork).
- Responsible for organizing all operations paperwork and record keeping.
- Serve as an internal and external point of contact for general email and phone operational communications.
- Coordinate directly with producers and customers to communicate ETAs and location instructions as needed.
- Communicate directly with drivers on the road regarding routes and orders, and troubleshoot any route issues.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse Team to support warehouse operations.
- Coordinate with the FH sales team on product substitutions and order adjustments.
- Communicate with the sales and procurement team on order changes, deliveries, and distribution errors as they occur.
- Greet and assist visitors to the Food Hub, including producers, customers, drivers, and service personnel.
- Assist with purchasing Food Hub supplies.
- Assist with other operations assignments as needed.
Food Hub Warehouse Support (Only as needed, this is not a primary responsibility of this role)
- Assist with order fulfillment and quality control.
- Assist with food safety and personal safety protocols.
- Assist with product receiving, inventory management, and monthly inventory.
- Assist with other warehouse assignments.
Food Hub Deliveries (Only as needed, this is not a primary responsibility of this role)
- Able to cover driving routes as needed.
- Ensure safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all Food Hub products.
- Communicate with the FHOM regarding route information.
- Inspect and verify the complete contents and quality of all Food Hub products during pickup and quickly communicate any shortages or quality issues to the Food Hub Operations Manager.
- Communicate route ETAs and order statuses directly with specific producers and customers, as needed.
- Track and record mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
- Fill in for other staff when needed.
- Assist with training new employees, as needed.
- Occasional paid off-hours meetings and events (with plenty of advance notice).
- Attend regular one-on-one check-ins with FHOM to seek and provide proactive and constructive feedback for mutual improvement and the general betterment of the FH.
- Engage in annual self-review.
- Participate in annual peer-review processes for employees as required.
- Other duties as needed to assist Food Connects in fulfilling its mission.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Food Connects will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of their work to the degree we can do so.
The ideal candidate has availability during the hours below, but there may be flexibility for the right candidate.
- Monday: 10AM-4PM
- Tues: 8:30AM-2:30PM
- Weds: 8:00AM-2:00PM (possibly earlier seasonally)
- Thurs: 8:30AM-2:30PM
- Fri: 8:30AM-2:30PM
As needed, the FHOC will assist the FHOM providing coverage and driver support for after-hours routes.
- The position is based in the Food Connects Food Hub facility in Brattleboro, VT.
- Evening and weekends may be required but will have plenty of lead time for planning.
- Some federal holidays may require at least part-time work. Adequate advanced notice will be provided.
- As a hands-on position, this role will require in-office work, with minimal opportunities to work remotely.
Physical Demands – Required:
- This position entails extensive use of a desktop or laptop computer, sitting or standing at a desk workstation.
Physical Demands – Recommended:
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move products (up to 50 lbs) as needed.
- Ability to operate pallet jacks and lift trucks in the warehouse, as needed.
- Ability and willingness to drive delivery vans and trucks, as needed.
- Ability to drive continuously for a full workday.
- Ability to work and drive in variant weather conditions.
- 1 to 2 years of experience in one or more of the following types of roles. Some professional experience in the food industry is strongly preferred.
- General office administration
- Project management
- Farming or food production
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: in person, over the phone, by email, and text.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills and natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Enthusiastic ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Interest in and ability to adapt to changes in evolving business, be creative, and jump in where needed to optimize operations.
- Helpful, professional presence.
- Strong knowledge of veggies, fruits, dairy, meats, value-added products and other regionally-produced foods.
- General technical skills with common workplace tools such as: G-suite, Excel, Slack, Asana, and customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Ability to learn and incorporate new tools and technology into a work plan.
- Reliable cell phone.
- At least 3 professional references.
- Existing relationships with/knowledge of food producers in VT, NH, MA and the NE region.
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
- General knowledge and relationships with regional logistics and freight providers.
- Experience in small business management and/or business development, especially in the food sector.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of our delivery services (Vermont, Southern NH, and Western Massachusetts, primarily).
- Experience with E-commerce and enterprise resource planning (ERP) software for food sales and distribution.
- Knowledge of basic food safety regulations.
- Food safety training.
- This is a part-time, non-exempt, 25-31 hour/week position.
- Beginning at $18.75 hourly. Negotiable depending on experience.
- A part-time position has the following benefits after a 90-day introductory period:
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, personal, and holiday leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Access to vision and dental insurance
- 15% employee discount on food purchases.
- 2% retirement contribution