Hiring: Packing House Manager – Mountain View Farm
Mountain View Farm is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) project serving Western Massachusetts and the Pioneer Valley. We are a certified organic farm growing a variety of vegetables and fruit. The farm land is located in Easthampton, Hadley, and Northampton.
Members visit the farm in Easthampton, MA, at the base of beautiful Mt. Tom, throughout the growing season to pick up their share of seasonally available produce as well as a wide variety of U-Pick crops. We also distribute weekly throughout the season in Springfield, MA and deliver boxed shares to NYC.
Visit mountainviewfarmcsa.com to learn more about the farm and to view other job postings.
Packing House Manager
- Manage crew washing and packing produce
- Packing consistency
- Quality control
- Personnel efficiency
- Equipment oversight
- Manage packing Boxes for NYC
- Box ingredient oversight
- Quality control
- General cleaning, organizing, and upkeep of packing area and dock
- Cooler stocking / organizing
- Managing layout and rotations
- Communications with Sherry (our Shareroom manager)
- Communications with Harvest Manager for produce delivery scheduling
- Allocating and labeling produce for different sites
- Maintain packing supplies and order as needed
- Wax Boxes for NYC deliveries
- Small root bags for individual shares
- Large plastic and polypropylene bags for on farm distribution
Time of year / season / hours:
- Packing house position starts the first week of June with the beginning of the harvest season. Employment can start as early as March to gain experience in other areas of the farm including greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, etc…
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays are full days in the barn washing, packing, boxing, organizing, and cleanup
- Hours are 6am – 5pm (sometimes it takes us a little bit longer to do clean up)
- Spring and Fall afford more time in the field
- Organization is a large part of this position
- Ability to manage a large group of people efficiently is essential
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple deadlines during the day
- Some basic Spanish goes a long way
- In short: Detail oriented, logistics capable, fast pace, can-do attitude!
This position is paid hourly, varies DOE, $12.00 – $14.00. Please send resume and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org and feel free to email us with any questions.