Hiring: Part-time Weeding Crew – Riverland Farm
2021 PART-TIME WEEDING CREW
The Farm: Riverland Farm is a Women-run, Certified Organic Farm in Western Massachusetts. We grow high quality, organic produce for our community. We are invested in the health and viability of organic farmland in our region and continue to work to maintain and improve the land we farm.
We grow 40 acres of certified organic vegetables on prime agricultural soil along the Connecticut River in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. We take pride in the quality of our vegetables and the ongoing relationships we maintain with our customers, locally and regionally.
Our growing practices, inputs and systems reflect our high standards for healthy land, good food and worker safety. We use only sustainable practices and organic approved inputs. We are a USDA Certified Organic Farm, certified by Baystate Certifiers.
The Job: Working on a farm crew often fosters lasting connections and friendships. We have a small and tight knit crew that works very closely with one another on a daily basis. We aim to have our crew working together towards common goals and supporting one another through the wide range of ups and downs of farming.
All applicants will be considered for these positions but preference is given to those with prior farm experience. You must have a valid driver’s license to apply.
2021 PART-TIME WEEDING CREW
Part-time Weeding Crew Member
June 1st – September 3rd, with the possibility to continue into the fall
$13.50/hr for 25-35 hrs/week
- 7 am – 12 pm (Mon-Sat)
- Specific weekly schedule to be arranged with managers before starting work
The people in the part time weeding crew make up the core of our field maintenance crew. It is a flexible position yet is an extremely important part of the day to day operations of the farm. We work in a small, tight knit crew for long hours through variable weather. As a farm crew member you will be exposed to many aspects of a production 40-acre vegetable farm and will have ample opportunity to gain knowledge through experience. Farming is a very physically demanding job. The days are long and variable and require people with good mental and physical stamina. A person that excels in this role is a good team player, has a positive attitude and good work ethic, is detail oriented and efficiency minded, has a good sense of humor, and is physically fit.
General Farm Responsibilities:
- The majority of the tasks in this position include weed management – from hand weeding to hoeing in field and in greenhouses – this position is critical to keeping the farm clean and operating smoothly
- Occasionally other field work may be a part of the day’s tasks- including greenhouse seeding, transplanting by machine and hand, managing row cover and light harvest.
- The people in this position will make up a specific unit of the farm crew, and although you will work with the full farm crew at times, much of your day-to-day work will be within this smaller group of weeding specialized crew members
- Clean-up of farm waste and organization of materials and tools
- Additionally, some tasks such as light carpentry, painting, and building or equipment maintenance may be part of these positions
- To apply: email resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org