Hiring: ProFarmer In-field Education Manager – Hudson Valley Farm Hub
Position Summary: The ProFarmer In-field Education Manager will be part of the Hudson Valley Farm Hub’s leadership team, providing practical, hands-on farmer training grounded in the seasonal work of organic vegetable production and aligned with the ecological and social justice goals of the Farm. She/he will be responsible for in-field instruction, mentoring, and the daily supervision of ProFarmer trainees, who are full-time, year-round Farm Hub employees. The ProFarmer curriculum employs both classroom and hands-on teaching methods in organic farming at a mechanized scale of production.
The In-field Education Manager will be a key member of the farm’s management team to ensure program success while helping to develop our approach to learning and fostering a culture of inclusiveness on the farm. Additionally, the In-field Manager will help manage trainee recruitment and support program design, evaluation, and reporting.
About the ProFarmer Training Program: The ProFarmer Training Program is an educational initiative of the Hudson Valley Farm Hub, a 1,255-acre not-for-profit farm in Hurley, New York. Through demonstration and farmer training, we provide education and raise awareness about agricultural practices that are locally rooted, equitable, ecologically regenerative, and economically viable. The ProFarmer Program is a management level training program for those who aspire to obtain farm manager positions or to own their own farm enterprises in the Hudson Valley.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
ProFarmer Training Program Development and Implementation
- Provide instruction in organic vegetable production methods
- Provide in-field instruction and troubleshooting on the use of tractors, implements, and other vegetable production equipment
- Supervise the daily work of farmer trainees in the field
- Execute the ProFarmer training curriculum in collaboration with the Farm Hub management team and external partners and faculty
- Supervise and assess the progress of farmer trainees
- Complete program reporting requirements through tracking of activities
- Engage regional farmers in HVFH programs, including creation of field days and twilight meetings, workshops, and conferences both on and off the farm
Farm Operations & Administration
- Together with the HVFH management team, participate in crop planning
- Help coordinate HVFH operations across educational, research, and demonstration activities
- Help manage annual work plans, budget, and capital plan
- Serve as a public spokesperson for the Farm Hub and community ambassador as needed
Requirements and Qualifications
Required experience includes:
- 7 or more years of organic vegetable and/or field crop production experience
- 5 or more years of teaching or mentoring experience
- Excellent organizational and verbal and written communication skills
- Use of Microsoft Office software and production record systems (e.g. Agsquared)
- Educational experience working with adults from a wide range of backgrounds and education levels
- Demonstrated success in management and supervision of staff
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with some evening and weekend hours as required
Preferred experience includes:
- Agricultural education and/or workforce development experience
- Pesticide Applicator certification
- Experience developing curriculum, including program design and creation of lesson plans
- Spanish language proficiency
- Use of alternative education methods (e.g. popular/participatory education, project-based learning)
The ProFarmer In-field Education Manager is a full-time, salaried position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and are an equal opportunity employer. All candidates, regardless of race, gender, age, or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com by January 20, 2018.