Hiring: Program Coordinator – CISA
Job Opening: Program Coordinator
Status: 40 (full-time) hours a week
Time Frame: Review begins May 12, 2022, position open until filled
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a nonprofit organization that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. We run the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® marketing campaign, educate the public about buying local, offer training and support for farmers, and support programs to increase access to local food in our region.
Our team has a range of skills and life experiences and is a mix of trainers, former farmers, communicators, and administrators. We work to build a diverse and resilient food economy with viable farms, fair and just working conditions, strong environmental stewardship, and where local food is accessible and available in all of our communities. We are committed to understanding the history and current impacts of racism in the food system and actively work towards equity. We are committed to recruiting and retaining creative, ethical, smart, and innovative people and to fostering an inclusive and diverse culture.
Our ideal candidate has experience with, and enjoys, providing farmers with business support; is familiar with local agricultural businesses and can help farms implement practical and meaningful changes to their operations; and has strong research and networking skills. Candidates should be capable project managers; be detail oriented and able to see the big picture; and have organizational systems to provide multiple farms with support simultaneously through multiple channels.
1) Implement CISA’s direct assistance as a member of the Farm Business Support Team:
- Plan and implement workshops and other training and networking opportunities.
- Coordinate outreach to farmers about educational offerings and support organizational outreach through email, phone, and mailings.
- Provide troubleshooting, advice, and referrals to farmers and related business owners.
- Coordinate support and assistance for farmers and related business owners by connecting them with CISA staff and/or outside professionals.
- Directly provide one-on-one assistance to farms in areas such as marketing, business planning, and/or financial management.
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships with other business assistance providers.
- Effectively use CISA’s existing databases to manage work.
- Build awareness about CISA and the Be A Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® program among potential Local Hero membership groups and the community.
- Perform other duties as requested.
2) Bring creative and strategic thinking about farm and business support that can further CISA’s mission.
3) Represent CISA at public presentations and other venues/channels as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
REPORTING and SUPERVISION
This position reports to the Program Manager. May include opportunities to occasionally supervise interns or volunteers.
- Training and/or experience providing business support/education (such as workshops) that is transferable/relevant to our audience of farms and food businesses.
- Experience with project management, including timeline organization, coordinating with others in the organization, and the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to support farms in developing and honing business skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and compellingly (verbally and in writing) with farmers and food system businesses.
- Self-motivated with the ability to collaborate well with a team.
- Comfortable (and persistent in) reaching out to people on the phone and over email for deadline driven work.
- Computer fluency and experience with MS Office suite, with demonstrated ability to create and use spreadsheets.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Working Spanish proficiency or fluency in Spanish.
- Experience in the sustainable agriculture field.
- Experience or training in business management.
- Experience with databases and/or web-based data management programs, such as Airtable.
Hours and compensation: $21.15-$23.00/hour, depending on experience. This is a full-time 40 hours/week, non-exempt position. Health care, vision, dental, long-term disability, 401K matching, sick time, holidays, and vacation are offered. Access to a car and some weekend and evening availability are required.
CISA is currently operating with a hybrid office model with at least two days a week in the office and up to three days from home. We allow staff flexibility in their regular schedules and understand that flexibility can support a healthy work-life balance. Occasional travel within CISA’s service area (Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties, MA) for technical assistance service provision, outreach, and events will be required.
CISA is an equal opportunity employer. CISA will not engage in discrimination against, or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with CISA on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran, or other characteristics protected by law. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
Please complete applicant questions and attach your resume via our online application form. Questions can be directed to email@example.com. Writing samples and references may be requested. Cover letters are not required and will not be reviewed.