Hiring: Retail Assistant – Siena Farms
Siena Farms is an award-winning, 75-acre market farm growing diversified produce on the fertile soils of the Sudbury River valley, twenty-five miles west of Boston. We distribute our produce through our 750-member, year-round CSA, the Copley Square Farmers’ Market, our two Boston farm stores, and area restaurants including family-owned Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. We grow our produce using the traditionally-sustainable farming practices of modern, biological agriculture, free of chemical pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.
- To produce the largest quantity of the highest-quality food possible within the realities of our land base, markets, economics, time, and weather, using biologically responsible methods that give priority to the long-term health of our fields, farmers, and customers.
- To work as intelligently, efficiently, and safely as possible, to increase both our productivity and profitability, and to develop novel, successful production and marketing techniques that can serve as models for other farmers.
- To promote and refine the Siena Farms brand by delivering an exceptional product, providing great customer service, and strengthening our ties to the local community.
Our Work Culture
Fast-paced, attentive to detail, with one over-arching goal: appreciation. Farming is challenging at every hour of every season, but we know that at the end of the day we’re so lucky to be living the dream of working together to grow fresh, healthy food for customers who support and inspire us — and, of nurturing our beautiful farmland for future generations, to the best of our ability.
Siena Farms’ Retail Assistant
We are seeking hardworking, high-energy, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in food and sustainable agriculture to join our team. Siena Farms Retail Assistants will be core team members of the year-round retail staff for our 75-acre vegetable farm. Retail Assistants will work closely with the managers and other members of the Siena Farms team to help professionally operate and grow retail sales at Siena Farms South End (106 Waltham St., Boston), Siena Farms @ Boston Public Market, and the Copley Square Farmers’ Market in Boston.
Retail Assistants, like all of our employees, will be held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic and schedule. A background in retail sales or customer service is required, as well as experience with, and passion for, farming and/or cooking.
The retail assistant position is a full-time, year-round position. Hours average 40 hours per week, spread over 4 or 5 shifts per week. Weekend availability is required. Compensation includes hourly wage, farm veggies, and employee discounts at our own retail outlets as well as Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma.
- Greet customers and provide friendly and informed customer service
- Maintain a high level of product knowledge and be able to recommend products based on customer needs and desires
- Perform daily retail sales using point-of-sale system
- Follow all opening and end-of-day systems and protocols
- Help maintain product display, product pricing and labeling
- Maintain accurate invoices for chefs and other wholesale customers
- CSA promotion and sales to members and potential members visiting our retail sites
- Training of Siena Farms apprentices and farm crew into some or all of these daily retail activities
- Uphold a clean, safe, organized, and beautiful working environment for customers and co-workers
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!