Hiring: Senior Director – Glynwood’s Farm
Glynwood’s mission is to ensure that the Hudson Valley is a region defined by food, where farming thrives, where farmers prosper, food entrepreneurs succeed, residents are nourished and visitors inspired. Located on a 225-acre property near Cold Spring, NY, in the Hudson Valley, Glynwood is focused on creating robust regional development and growth in the Hudson Valley, based on regenerative agriculture, that preserves and expands land in farming, feeds our families, and provides an example of a food system which is healthier for us, our communities, and our environment. Vegetable and diversified liverstock farming operations, training the next generation of sustainable farmers, and support of regional farmers are key initiatives that bring our mission to life. For more information on Glynwood and its programs, see www.glynwood.org.
Glynwood is seeking a hands-on, talented, experienced, respected and engaging Senior Director of Glynwood’s Farm, a farmer with a whole-farm vision and excellent planning and program management capabilities to implement that vision; a bridge-builder with outstanding organizational and teaching skills, as well as strong supervisory management skills; and a leader and mentor who is approachable and inspiring. Successful candidates will be mission-driven leaders with passion for excellence in farming and in training of the next generation of regional farmers. As part of Glynwood’s Leadership Team, the Senior Director of Glynwood’s Farm will play a critical role in advancing our work to provide excellence in Glynwood’s experiential farmer training programs based on a working farm, managed to the highest standards of regenerative agriculture. In partnership with Program Directors, this position will oversee our Apprentice Program and other farming education programs.
The Senior Director of Glynwood’s Farm reports directly to the Vice President of Programs and is an integral part of Glywnood’s leadership team. This position has three direct reports (Livestock Manager, Vegetable Production Manager, and Director of Farm Stewardship).
- Direct and increase integration of Glynwood’s livestock and vegetable farming operations
- Propose, get alignment on and implement a Whole Farm Plan that clearly articulates best practice goals for farm practices and improvements, infrastructure needs, stewardship initiatives, and farm enterprise business goals
- Lead, evaluate, and further improve Glynwood’s farmer training programs, including apprenticeships, farm business incubator, and peer learning workshops for regional farmers
- In partnership with the Director of Farm Stewardship, advance the practice of resilient and regenerative agriculture onsite and oversee on-farm research initiatives
- Develop and manage farm and farm program budgets, including revenue and expense tracking
- Develop and implement a protocol for testing efficacy of innovative farming methods
- Establish and maintain strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders such as peers, partners, grantors, agencies, participants, farmers, community groups, and organizations
- Consistently develop and deliver operational goals for farming operations and farmer training programs
- Maintain Organic and Animal Welfare Approved certifications
- Partner with Glynwood’s Directors of Regional Food and Public Programs to ensure alignment on programs and events
- Serve as the engaging spokesperson for Glynwood’s farm and farmer training programs
- Develop a marketing and sales program for Glynwood’s farm products that will provide experience in business best practices for farmer training participants
- Work collaboratively with property team to ensure property and infrastructure needs are met
- Actively participate in leadership meetings
- Be an engaged bridgebuilder between Glynwood’s farm and programs
- Support fundraising for the farmer training programs, including support in grant writing, reporting, funder relationship cultivation, and networking
- Teach in the farmer training programs, and develop managers as excellent teachers of apprentices.
- Effectively lead and supervise direct reports on staff of the farming operations and farmer training programs, and develop their capabilities in a team-based environment.
- Minimum of 10 years management experience in vegetable and pasture-based livestock farm operations with an increasing scope of responsibility
- Minimum of 8-10 years of supervisory management experience
- Minimum 4-6 years experience teaching or mentoring beginning farmers and/or apprenticeship training program experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Extensive knowledge of regenerative farming practices
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Internal and external bridge-builder
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Outstanding teacher in experiential learning methods and environments
- Experienced and effective in budget and program development, management, and reporting
- Excellent written and public speaking communications skills, with a desire and proven ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and knowledge levels
- In-depth network of colleagues in the farming sector and the Hudson Valley is a plus
- Results oriented: ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and in a collegial manner
- Proficient computer literacy in Microsoft Office suite, Google suite, and social media platforms
- Outstanding initiative: highly effective and solutions oriented
- Reliable, resilient, and organized
- Excellent follow-through with outstanding judgment and a positive attitude
- Respected in the field and continuously striving to be up-to-date in regenerative agriculture
- Highly effective and at ease in working in a team-based environment
If you want to make a difference every day, if you have the capabilities, experience, and desire to succeed in this role and want to join an exceptional and impactful organization, please send a cover letter and resume, including salary requirements, to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Director of Glynwood’s Farm” in the subject line. Glynwood offers a highly competitive annual compensation package with excellent benefits. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and email. Background checks and computer literacy tests are required for final candidates for this position. Glynwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.