Hiring: Spanish-Speaking Farm Educators – Hudson Valley Farm Hub
Seeking Spanish-speaking Farm Educators
Position Summary: The Hudson Valley Farm Hub is seeking Educators to plan and facilitate one-off workshops in Spanish this winter (November 2018—March 2019) on topics central to organic farming. The ideal candidates are fluent in Spanish and will have some organic vegetable farming experience, either as a farmer or educator.
We will offer a winter series of classroom-based, 2-4 hour workshops for our staff on the “Fundamentals of Organic Farming”, including soil science, plant health, basic principles of irrigation, cover crops, integrated pest management, crop planning and crop rotations. You will be working with our Spanish-speaking farmworker staff (about 15 people), for whom we aim to increase their agricultural knowledge and skills as organic growers. Content should be targeted at a beginner farmer level of knowledge (though some workers have many years of field-based experience in agriculture) and tailored to a wide range of backgrounds and education levels.
About the Hudson Valley Farm Hub: The Hudson Valley Farm Hub is a 1,255-acre not-for-profit farm in Hurley, New York. Through demonstration and farmer training, we provide education and raise awareness about agricultural practices that are locally rooted, equitable, ecologically regenerative, and economically viable. Our ProFarmer Program is a management level training program for those who aspire to obtain farm manager positions or to own their own farm enterprises in the Hudson Valley. To find out more, visit the Hudson Valley Farm Hub at http://www.hvfarmhub.org.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide classroom-based, Spanish language instruction in organic farming principles and practices for adults with a wide range of backgrounds and education levels
- Plan and facilitate classroom-based workshops that contain participatory and hands-on elements
Requirements and Qualifications
Required experience includes:
- Spanish language proficiency
- 5 or more years of organic vegetable and/or field crop production experience
- 2 or more years of teaching or mentoring experience
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Educational experience working with adults from a wide range of backgrounds and education levels
Preferred experience includes:
- Agricultural education and/or workforce development experience
- Experience developing curriculum, including program design and creation of lesson plans
- Use of alternative education methods (e.g. popular/participatory education, project-based learning)
Interested candidates should email a brief proposal for a 2-4 hour workshop on the above topic(s) of your choosing. You may apply to teach more than one workshop as a series. Please also include your resume and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific inquiries, call Sara Katz, Education Program Manager at (845) 331-1187 x107. We offer a competitive hourly rate for instruction and travel reimbursement. This is a part-time, short-term, contractual position.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders (regardless of pregnancy), and sexual orientations, as well as differently-abled people.