Hiring: Summer Conference Food & Entertainment Coordinator – NOFA/Mass
Job Description: NOFA Summer Conference Food & Entertainment Coordinator position.
The NOFA Summer Conference is an annual two-day festival held in Massachusetts each August, which celebrates organic food and farming through educational workshops, interactive exhibits and entertaining events. The NOFA Summer Conference Entertainment Coordinator is a member of the Summer Conference Committee and employed by NOFA/Mass. This position is responsible for creating a lively and vibrant atmosphere at the conference to compliment the workshop/education program.
The fair takes place on Saturday afternoon. This event, along with dancing and other entertainment events at the conference, is intended to be a time for attendees to kick back and enjoy activities such as a parade, exhibits, a farmer’s market, games, a raffle and music. It is a time for families attending the conference to enjoy time together after being in separate workshop spaces throughout the weekend. The fair usually features games, demonstrations, crafting, and other fun activities. The event is free and open to the public, which makes it a wonderful way for people to first learn about NOFA.
Includes a variety of entertainment options during the conference, including during the evenings on Friday and Saturday. This entertainment includes live music, meetups, mixers, film screenings, yoga and other activities.
The successful coordinator will:
- Be highly organized, responsive, and competent with use of word, excel and google docs.
- Be able to contract with entertainers and coordinate the schedule of events.
- Have strong prior experience directing and overseeing volunteers.
- Be self-motivated, efficient, and enjoy working both collaboratively as well as autonomously.
- Be able to create and coordinate a dynamic and appropriate schedule of events.
- Enjoy having fun and helping others have fun.
- Be a creative spirit.
- Be able to multitask and delegate at the conference, particularly during the fair.
- Select and secure entertainers and presenters for the fair and entertainment, operating within a predetermined budget.
- Work with previous contact list, and find new contacts, to build this year’s schedule.
- Work with Conference Coordinator and Webmaster to create and post content about the entertainment program.
- Ensure the venues are ready for entertainer/presenters throughout the weekend.
- Coordinate liquor service/bartender logistics during entertainment events.
- Coordinate payments to entertainers/presenters/bartenders.
- Work with PR Coordinator on publicity for the fair and entertainment events.
OTHER EXPECTATIONS: NOFA Summer Conference Committee members are required to attend two or three in-person meetings and four conference calls per year, and must be present at the Conference itself, August 10-11 2019. You must be able to arrive one day early, on August 9 to begin the work of setting up the conference. In-person meetings take place in July for a Hampshire College walk through, October for a wrap up session, and possibly one other meeting in-between. It is also expected that the Coordinator will provide their own computer and transportation (mileage is reimbursed) and have ready access to an internet connection in order to facilitate this work. As long as all deadlines are met appropriately, and meetings are attended reliably, the majority of the work for this position leading up to the Conference is done remotely and independently.
Phone meetings are scheduled almost quarterly.
NOFA Summer Conference committee members must be current members of NOFA/Mass.
COMPENSATION: The pay for this position is a stipend, budgeted for 120 Hours of work, with a pay rate starting at $13 per hour ($1,560). It includes free registration to the conference and free housing during the conference. Mileage reimbursement to meetings and other job-related travel (subject to approval by Conference Coordinator) is at $0.545 per mile. The Coordinator’s spouse receives half off registration. Coordinator’s children under age 18 receive free registration.
TO APPLY: Please email Jason Valcourt, NOFA Summer Conference Coordinator, if you are interested in this job. Send a resume, a letter of interest in the position, and a list of three job references to email@example.com. Use subject heading “Entertainment Coordinator Application.” Applications will be accepted until January 15 for a position starting February 1. Call with questions at (970) 275-1355.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.