Hiring: Summer Farm Crew Leader – Roots Rising
Summer Farm Crew Leader
The Summer Farm Crew Leader will be responsible for co-leading a Crew of twelve teenagers
and guiding them through the Summer Farm Crew job experience. This position primarily runs
the month of July, and has the potential to expand into a year-round role depending on fit and
Statement of Equity
Roots Rising encourages candidates from all backgrounds to join our team. We believe that a
diverse team enhances our ability to fulfill our mission and grow as an organization. We are
committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment where each employee’s
contributions are recognized, valued, and celebrated.
We understand that our employees have varying needs; we aim to create a healthy, successful
work environment for all, and we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly workplace.
Roots Rising is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon
race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability,
or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Over and above our commitment to nondiscrimination, we believe that our organization should
reflect the communities we serve. In staying true to this commitment Roots Rising actively
seeks to employ members of the community who have experienced food insecurity, as well as
members of historically marginalized groups, including, but not limited to, Black and Brown folx,
LGBTQ+ folx, and differently abled folx.
Roots Rising is an award-winning, women-led organization whose mission is to empower youth
and build community through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community
changemakers and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of
Roots Rising has three main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market, our Youth Crews, and our
upcoming Youth Farm.
In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own
market. It’s more than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful
work—work that needs to be done and serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work
leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and connected.
Dates of Employment
The Summer Farm Crew Leader will have two days of paid training, dates TBD. Summer Farm
Crew runs Monday, July 3 – Friday, August 4. Hours for the position are Monday to Friday, 8:30am
to 4:30pm. Daily lunch and snacks will be provided.
● Serve as a leader of teen Summer Farm Crew members
● Oversee, motivate, and ensure the safety and well being of teens during their work
periods, including being the sole adult responsible for small groups
● Serve as a model of the employment skills we seek to impart to our youth, including
having a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills
● Support the interests and needs of our teen Farm Crew members, including cultivating a
safe space for learning and growth
● Communicate with worksite hosts to determine the day’s daily tasks
● Lead one educational workshop per summer based on own skills and interests
● Assist with daily facilitation of group activities, including games, check-in and feedback
● Assist in the management of data, including attendance and violations
● Participate in weekly staff meetings
● Contribute knowledge to the overall organization to advance its mission and vision
● Uphold the standards and values of the organization
● Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens, especially those from diverse
● Experience leading groups of teens
● Ability to engage in farm work for prolonged periods, including standing, bending, and
kneeling; ability to carry heavy objects (up to 50lbs); ability to withstand varied weather
conditions, including heat and rain
● Strong time-management and organization skills with the ability to multitask
● Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive the Roots Rising van
The Summer Farm Crew Leader will be paid a salary of $17/hour and will not exceed 215 hours
total. All required work gear will be provided.
To apply send a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 26.