Hiring: Tractor Operator – Red Fire Farm
- Drive tractors to accomplish daily and weekly lists for field production
- Know farm standards for each kind of tractor work
- Attend to the field and soil conditions that need to be created for different crops
- Practice safety and respect equipment at all times
- Work with team to improve or create production systems on the farm
- Keep up basic maintenance and care on tractors and implements
- Communicate equipment problems to farm owner and harvest manager as they arise
- Participate in irrigation rotation during drought times or for frost protection
Crew Leading Responsibilities
You may be the leader of a team of anywhere from 1 to 10 people on a daily basis. It is your responsibility to keep the crew on task at all times, ensure that everyone on the crew is following the proper harvesting techniques and meeting quality standards, and following all safety guidelines.
- Know farm standards for each area of work – harvesting, weeding, etc.
- Set the pace for everything – harvesting, walking, getting in and out of vehicles, dropping things off in the shed, etc.
- Ensure that produce is brought from the field to the shed in a timely manner, in accordance with harvest standards
- Read the harvest notes every week, and ask questions to the harvest manager or someone else if there is any uncertainty
- Cultivate a positive and effective working experience with your crew
Schedule and Compensation: $12/hr
Other perks: Many acres of vegetables are generally available for your use as well.
Hours –Typical hours are 7am – 6pm Monday through Friday with a one-hour lunch, overall less in spring and winter, more in the summer at times. Tractor operators can expect to rotate through some weekend hours. Due to the nature of farming, all crew are expected to be available to work on the holidays that occur during the active farming season, to be on-call during spring and fall frosts, and to be flexible with the length of work days during the season.
To apply, please send a letter of interest outlining your relevant work experience and a resume with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org