Hiring: Truck Crew Leader – Roots Rising
Truck Crew Leader Job Description
Job Summary: The Truck Crew Leader will be responsible for supervising and implementing a teen-run food truck.
Organization Overview: Roots Rising is an award-winning, women-led organization whose mission is to empower youth and build community through food and farming. Our vision is to lift up teens as community changemakers and strengthen the local food system through the transformational power of meaningful work. Roots Rising has two main initiatives: our Pittsfield Farmers Market and our Youth Crews. In our Youth Crews, we hire Pittsfield teens to work on farms, in food pantries and at our own market. It’s more than just a job. It’s an opportunity for teens to engage in meaningful work—work that needs to be done and serves a larger social good. We believe meaningful work leaves youth feeling purposeful, capable and connected.
We have three seasonal Farm Crews- Fall, Spring and Summer- and Market Crew, who recently
transformed the Pittsfield Farmers Market into the first teen-run market in the region.
Truck Crew: Truck Crew will be an advanced-level job opportunity for alumni of our Farm Crews. Truck Crew will run a teen-run food truck with ingredients sourced from local farms. The teens will learn entrepreneurial and culinary skills while offering the community a healthy and seasonal food option.
Dates of Employment: The Truck Crew Leader will start in March 2020 and will be involved with the planning and launch of the new food truck business. Planning hours will be part-time and flexible. Truck Crew runs May 2020- October 2020. For this pilot launch year, the Food Truck will run mainly on Saturdays at the Pittsfield Farmers Market. Additional events at different locations may be scheduled. Weekend availability isrequired. Work hours outside of events will be provided for preparation and planning and will be flexible, in coordination with the Truck Crew Leader’s schedule. Total work hours will not exceed 300 hours.
Serve as a youth mentor and educator
● Oversee, motivate, and ensure the safety and well being of teens during their work periods
● Serve as a model of the employment skills we seek to impart to our youth, including having a
strong work ethic and excellent communication skills
● Facilitate youth development elements of the work day
● Along with Co-Directors, co-lead regularly scheduled Real Talk feedback circles
● Assist in the management of data, including tracking hiring paperwork, attendance and violations
● Uphold the standards and values of the organization
Serve as a food service professional and supervisor
● Train and supervise Truck Crew in the running of a food-truck business, including following
standard recipes, using food truck equipment safely, using proper sanitary habits in food
preparation and serving, etc.
● Communicate with Co-Directors to create and implement the day’s work plan, including food
prep, event vending and clean-up
● Manage all aspects of the food truck business, including sourcing ingredients, scaling recipes,
setting up the food trailer for transport and vending, managing the sales of food at events, etc.
● Manage and track expenses and revenue according to standard organization forms and policies
● Maintain the trailer in good condition through periodic cleaning with the Crew.
● Coordinate the transport of the food trailer to ensure timely arrival and departure from event
● Serve as a model of positive and efficient customer service
● Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens, especially those from diverse backgrounds
● Knowledge of the standard methods and safety practices used in food handling, storage,
preparation, cooking and serving of food in large quantities
● Ability to stand for prolonged periods and carry heavy objects (up to 50lbs)
● Strong time-management and organization skills with the ability to multitask
● Two years of food preparation and cooking in a professional food service business preferred
● Must complete ServSafe and Allergen Awareness certification before the launch of Truck Crew
● Must have a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
The Truck Crew Leader will be paid a salary of $20/hour and will be provided with required work gear.
To apply send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Roots Rising is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.