Hiring: Winter Conference Coordinator – NOFA/Mass
In its 29th year The Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter (NOFA/Mass) Winter Conference is an annual one-day conference, which features 70+ workshops and exhibitors; an all-day seminar and keynote speeches; children’s conference and more. In 2015 the conference attracted nearly 1,000 participants from the New England region. The conference represents the mission of NOFA/Mass which is, through education and advocacy NOFA/Mass promotes organic agriculture to expand the production and availability of nutritious food from living soil for the health of individuals, communities and the planet. The NOFA/Mass Winter Conference Coordinator oversees all aspects of the conference, acting as the supervisor of the eight person Winter Conference Committee.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Develop the overall vision for the conference, including working with the NOFA/Mass Education Director and Executive Director and others to select the keynote speaker(s), and overseeing the overall program.
- Provide oversight of all information being posted onto the website and in the program book.
- Collect program evaluations on each aspect of the conference.
- Oversee the Winter Conference Committee, including hiring of some positions and the Winter Conference Workshop Coordinator. The committee is made up of approximately eight staff who together manage all aspects of the conference.
- Work in collaboration with the NOFA/Mass Executive Director, Education Director, PR Director and Winter Conference Workshop Coordinator, to publicize the conference and increase registration levels.
- Hold regular meetings of the Winter Conference committee to accomplish the goals of the conference.
- Run an evaluation process for all employee and contractor committee staff members and their individual program areas.
- Take responsibility for contractual and conference coordination relationship with Worcester State University Services personnel.
- Develop and manage the approximately $80,000 Winter Conference budget including setting conference rates and charges, and manage the conference according to it. This budget is part of the NOFA/Mass overall budget.
- Manage on-site logistics and/or support staff in their logistical needs. May include layout, vendors, signage, workshops, keynotes, entertainment, waste management, tech/av and food.
- A strong commitment to and knowledge of organic farming practices.
- Three years of event/conference management experience.
- Excellent leadership abilities.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Ability to work collegially as a team member as well as independently from home, with minimal supervision;
- Basic office management and computer software skills.
- Position is scheduled for 400 hours per year. 2016 hours will be reflective of the position start date.
- Starting pay: $15-$20 per hour, dependent on experience, with no health insurance benefits
- Employee must maintain a current NOFA/Mass membership
- Employee must attend NOFA/Mass retreats and staff meetings, the winter and summer conferences, and education department conference calls
- Employee must provide appropriate basic office equipment to facilitate working from home
- Employee must submit weekly staff reports to the Executive Director, participate in peer reviews of other centrally-hired NOFA/Mass staff, maintain monthly timesheets, and provide an annual work plan to the Education Director.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.