Justamere Tree Farm’s Butternut Bisque
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups pared and seeded butternut squash
- squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄ 2 cup Justamere pure maple syrup (dark amber Grade A or Grade B)
- few gratings fresh nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add squash, carrots, and leek, cook, stirring often, until the leek is wilted (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and bay leaf and cook, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, uncovered, until wine is almost completely evaporated (about 10 minutes). Stir in 4 cups of water and return to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until squash is very tender (about 30 minutes).
In batches, purée soup in a food processor or blender. Return to pot. Stir in half-and-half, maple syrup and nutmeg. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until soup is piping hot. Season with the salt and pepper. Serve hot.