Land Available: Farmland Partnership in Peterborough, NH
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm is looking for a partner to manage farm operations at our community farm in Peterborough, NH. The area of active management includes 7-8 acres of which about 5 acres has been in production. This includes 3 high-tunnel hoophouses, seed-starting facilities, root cellar, water sources (well and river), shared use of equipment, and other infrastructure. Soils are classified as Colton loamy sand and Monadnock fine sandy loam. The farmer will be offered an affordable, secure, long-term lease starting with a trial period.
In previous seasons, Nubi farmers have sold as many as 100 CSA shares in the broader community as well as limited wholesale. They have grown 35 different vegetables with over 90 varieties of vegetables, flowers, and herbs combined. Main crops include lettuce, salad mix, Asian greens, carrots, garlic, onions, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, beets, peppers, cabbage, and kale. Minor crops have included herbs, eggplant, ginger, kohlrabi, broccoli, potatoes, and various other crops.
Needed Qualifications and Skills
- Regenerative, low-input/sustainable vegetable production experience
- Capable operator and maintainer of all necessary farm equipment
- Greenhouse and high tunnel management, including plant propagation and season extension
- Business savvy to ensure a viable farm business
- Able to communicate well and work with the community in a co-housing context
- Willing to teach interns or volunteers who may lack experience
Nubanusit Neighborhood is a co-housing community of 29 households. The community and the farm have a reciprocal and complementary relationship: Neighbors support the farm–primarily through the purchase of CSA shares–and the farm offers the neighborhood food, beauty, and connection to each other and the land. We are committed to organic, sustainable practices, and require farming operations to continue to improve the health of the soil.