Local Ingredients for School Lunches: Egg Salad
Egg Salad Lunch
Recipe adapted From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Spoon the egg salad into a lettuce “bowl” to keep it looking pretty and enjoy with bread and veggies. Toss peaches and blueberries with yogurt to keep the peaches from turning brown..
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon each finely diced celery/red or orange peppers
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced scallion/chive greens
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup peach slices
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 3 slices cocktail-size bread
- Mash eggs in a small bowl with a fork. Stir in celery and peppers, mayonnaise, mustard, scallion/chive greens and pepper until combined. Line container with lettuce leaves and fill with the egg salad.
- Combine blueberries, banana and yogurt in another container. Arrange pickles, tomatoes and bread in a container
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate egg salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.