Seeking: TerraCorp Service Member – CISA
Join CISA as our 2022-23 TerraCorps Member!
Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) is a non-profit organization that strengthens farms and engages the community to build the local food economy. Our programs include the Be a Local Hero, Buy Locally Grown® business membership and marketing campaign, educational activities for the public, technical assistance trainings and workshops for farmers. These programs, in addition to others, are focused on expanding market options for farmers and increasing access to local food for all communities
in our region.
CISA staff work collaboratively within the organization as well as outside the organization to educate partners and community members about the importance of local agriculture in our local food system.
Community Engagement Coordinators (CEC) build the long-term capacity of their Service Sites by developing and leading culturally inclusive programming, events, and volunteer opportunities that provide broad social and environmental benefits to underrepresented beneficiaries. Member projects address inequities in public health, economic opportunity, education, land accessibility, and environmental sustainability. Through engaging diverse peoples and collaborating with community partners, CECs build bridges that reinforce the connection between land and a sustainable social, economic, and environmental future for all people.
About the position:
TerraCorps Members engage with their supervisors to develop and carry out three or more capacity building projects over the course of the service year. CISA has proposed the following potential projects for their Community Engagement Coordinator:
- Help build sales at farmers’ markets and farms, through promoting the Healthy Incentive
Program (HIP). CISA’s TerraCorps Member will educate service providers about HIP through training sessions and direct outreach. Member will also collaborate with partners as well as farmers’ market vendors and managers to promote open HIP access points to community members.
- The TerraCorps Member will focus heavily on building strong relationships with partner organizations that have direct relationships with low-income residents. They will collaborate with peer organizations across Franklin, Hampshire, and Hampden county via each county’s respective Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) group focused on food access and food insecurity. They will assist on and lead projects identified by these partner networks to advance food security and promote SNAP/HIP at local food retailers and farms. Projects are to be determined in partnership with other members of the network, and examples could include: farmers’ market coach programs to welcome low-income customers to the market, HIP access point mapping, and/or creating shared resource databases.
Development of these and other projects will occur during the first two months of service and consider the Member’s interests and skills.
Required AmeriCorps Qualifications:
• A US citizen, US national, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
• At least 18 years old
• A minimum of a high school diploma or GED
• No more than three previous terms as an AmeriCorps Member
• Pass a criminal history background check, including an FBI check
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Able to serve both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfort navigating computer software programs (i.e. Microsoft Office, Airtable, Constant Contact, WordPress, Facebook)
- Training and experience pertinent to the Community Engagement Coordinator position and projects outlined above
- Experience training and/or educating community members and volunteers
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Comfortable engaging with people of various backgrounds including government agency staff, farmers, farmers’ market managers, business owners, and community members
- Comfortable speaking on the phoneFor questions about CISA’s service position, contact Zoey Sloate, firstname.lastname@example.org, 774-535-5129.
AmeriCorps Member Eligibility Requirements:
All Members are expected to serve full-time, commit to serve for the entire 11-month term, and complete at least 1,700 hours of service, including time spent in trainings and several service days with the full TerraCorps cohort. Weekly service averages 38 hours and commonly includes some night and/or weekend activities.
AmeriCorps programs provide equal opportunities. TerraCorps will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. We encourage applications from individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations for interviews and service upon request.
Member Compensation and Benefits:
- TerraCorps Members will receive a living allowance of up to $18,500 (pre-tax) over the 11-month term of service, which is $740 (pre-tax) per 25 biweekly pay periods.
- TerraCorps assists Members in obtaining health insurance coverage. Reimbursement of costs may be available.
- Childcare assistance may be provided in cases of financial need.
- Upon successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps Members receive a taxable $6,495 education award that can be used for future education or to pay off existing school loans. See https://www.americorps.gov/members-volunteers/segal-americorps-education-award for info and restrictions.
- TerraCorps Members are eligible for forbearance of most federally-guaranteed student loans, as well as payment of interest accrued during service.
- TerraCorps Members will receive mentorship, training, and career development opportunities while serving directly with community-based nonprofits. TerraCorps Members experience the personal rewards of national service
and community engagement.
Note: TerraCorps Members are responsible for their own housing and must have access to reliable transportation.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position and to learn more about other TerraCorps service Member opportunities, please visit the following page on the TerraCorps website at https://terracorps.org/available-member-positions/
Note: A complete Member application includes a resume and two professional or academic references that you will upload as part of your application.
Member applications will be collected by TerraCorps and shared with Service Sites. .
We strongly encourage interested individuals to apply as soon as possible once applications are posted in May 2022. Position offers and acceptances will be made on a rolling basis. The program aims to fill all positions by mid-July, but Service Sites will continue interviews as needed until all positions are filled. For questions about TerraCorps please email email@example.com.