- This event has passed.
LAND: The foundation of a healthy food system
April 15, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 1:30 pm
PVGrows 2015 Spring Forum
The forum will be followed by a MA Food Plan Listening Session from 2:00 – 3:30pm
Just as a house needs a strong foundation to support it over time, farmers need secure access to land to produce food. Land is the foundation of our food system.
- How does access to farmland fit into a vision of creating a healthy, resilient, and equitable food system?
- How can we ensure that farmland is available and protected for future generations?
- What is the connection between food access and farmland access?
- What can urban and rural communities learn from one another about accessing land for food production?
- Join us for the PVGrows 2015 Spring Forum to learn about the important role that secure access to land plays in our food system – and how we can all work to strengthen this foundation.
At the PVGrows Spring Forum we will explore topics related to land access including land affordability, land transfer and succession planning, land conservation, farm and food business financing, farm viability, and food access.
- Learn why secure access to farmland is vital to creating a healthy, resilient, and equitable food system in the Pioneer Valley.
- Understand the barriers facing producers who are trying to gain secure access to rural and urban farmland.
- Get introduced to the diverse approaches available for overcoming these barriers including conservation easements, shared ownership, and creative leasing.
- Hear stories of innovative approaches to land access and partnerships in rural and urban settings and meet with local people working on these issues.
Community support is critical to help farmers access, hold, and transfer land – and to keep working farms viable for future generations. Join us to learn more!
Like past Forums, the 2015 Spring Forum will include interactive sessions, structured networking, opportunities for collaboration, and a locally grown lunch. This event is open to anyone interested in and working for a healthy food system in the Pioneer Valley.
- This event is open to anyone working for a healthy food system in the Pioneer Valley.
- Space is limited to 130.
- Forum Registration is $0-50, sliding scale and includes a locally grown lunch.
- Registration Required. REGISTER HERE
For more information about the event, visit the PVGrows website.
Wednesday, April 15th from 9:00am – 1:30pm
Open Square – Mill 1, Holyoke, MA